Is dentistry a good profession for people who don't like to be anchored in one spot?

Aug 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
I want a career in healthcare and am seriously considering dentistry, but I fear being one will cause me to be very stationary. I would like a profession that doesn't anchor. I would like to know that I can move whenever I'd like, but I feel like in dentistry, to make the big bucks, you need to stay put where your practice is. Any insight from practicing, free spirit dentists out there?

DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2000
Brooklyn, ct
Status
Dentist
I want a career in healthcare and am seriously considering dentistry, but I fear being one will cause me to be very stationary. I would like a profession that doesn't anchor. I would like to know that I can move whenever I'd like, but I feel like in dentistry, to make the big bucks, you need to stay put where your practice is. Any insight from practicing, free spirit dentists out there?

Given the world of corporate dentistry these days, the ability to move around and practice is greater than its likely ever been,

The reality is though, that it's tougher to build patient rapport, which very often leads to case acceptance if you are moving around a bunch. I literally can't tell you how many times over the years I've heard new patients coming into my office from the office that it literally 100 feet from my building, where one of their biggest complaints is that the office next to me seems to have a "revolving door" of associates who tend to last about 6-8 months before moving on, and the patients don't like the regular stream of new faces they see treating them......

Aug 29, 2006
New York
Status
Dentist
It is possible to move around, but moving from state to state may be pricey with the need to keep licensure and malpractice up to date. Same with medicine. Unless you do locum tenens. I believe the companies which run these services absorb part of that cost.

About the Ads