ram21

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
sgpa: 2.8 non-science gpa: 3.5

DAT: 18bio/18pat/25 reading/16 qr/16 ochem/15 gchem

retaking the DAT june 3, submitting my app june 3.

what are my chances of getting in somewhere if i pull a 21 TS/21 AA?

ALSO, i am so confused as to what I should do next year? I am thinking taking some sciences to pull my undergrad sgpa to around 3.0, and then do a 1 yr. master's program at a csu and do really well.

problem is, my sgpa poor grades are scattered: meaning, i haven't really shown a trend in improving. I have pretty much A's, B's, and then 2 C's and 2 D's. im not sure how this looks to dental schools, and if i should retake the D grade courses (which will be tough because I will have to do it this summer, along with taking the DAT).

PLEASE, SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. I NEED SOME DIRECTION!

im about to give up.

12345a

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Status
im about to give up.
don't.

These are your cards that you've dealt to yourself. Do what you need to do to win but don't lose on your own accord.

MrBeans

MrBeans
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Don't give up! You still have a chance.

You should really knock the DAT out of the ballpark. 21/21/21 is good, but I think a 24/24/24 would put you in great standing with your GPA.

Out of curiosity, what is your cumulative GPA?

Retake those two classes that you received Ds in, if they are science classes. Not only will it look good on your record, but it will simultaneously boost your overall and science GPA.

Don't lose hope; although it seems like its an uphill battle, you could be in much worse condition (i.e. - lower sGPA and lower non-sGPA). At least a huge component is quickly fixable relative to the others, namely, the DAT :)

Heretotalk

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Status
Dental Student
you have two choices left now.

1. finish your undergrad and apply for a science postbac. Get good grades there. I repeat, GOOD GRADES then get a good dat score (at least 19+ all across)

2. more risky, and I suggest you don't do it. Take kaplan course, and study till your brains fry for the DAT. You will need at least 22 to 23 across the board. This will at least make adcoms notice you and some "easier" schools may consider you for interview.

Again, suggest you just finish your undergrad. Save your remaining DAT retake chances (3 total, more and it looks bad). Apply science post-bac and do it after. It takes some years, but ultimately it is the safest way to go. If you really want to do dental school, this is your best bet.

BruinDentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2008
I think you're being hasty by planning on applying this June. First of all, you really need to think about why you want to pursue dentistry and whether or not you're willing to work for it. It's a huge commitment and takes a lot of work, so you need to take a year or two to not only prove to the adcoms that you can handle the courseload, but also prove to yourself that you have the motivation. If you do, retake all the prereqs that you got below a B in and also some upper div science courses, and/or apply for a post-bac program. Make sure you study hard and get high grades. You have to demonstrate maturity through an upward trend in grades. Then, study hard for the DAT around Spring next year and try to score in the 20's. Make sure you got some volunteer/shadowing hours to help you decide if dentistry is right for you. You've got a long road ahead of you, but you can do it if you want it bad enough.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
sgpa: 2.8 non-science gpa: 3.5
DAT: 18bio/18pat/25 reading/16 qr/16 ochem/15 gchem
what are my chances of getting in somewhere if i pull a 21 TS/21 AA?
ALSO, i am so confused as to what I should do next year? I am thinking taking some sciences to pull my undergrad sgpa to around 3.0, and then do a 1 yr. master's program at a csu and do really well.
problem is, my sgpa poor grades are scattered: meaning, i haven't really shown a trend in improving. I have pretty much A's, B's, and then 2 C's and 2 D's. im not sure how this looks to dental schools, and if i should retake the D grade courses (which will be tough because I will have to do it this summer, along with taking the DAT).
im about to give up.
If you have to ask then maybe giving up is the best option. Having 21s dance in your dreams is not going to help you.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602095

ram21

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
thanks for the responses.

i've been studying for the DAT since taking it, and am now scoring a 20ts, 21 pat with topscore, and pretty much 18s and 19s on achiever.

i'm taking two science courses this semester, and have A's. I'm also planning on taking science classes over summer (including retaking the two Ds in addition to physio), and apply june 3 (first day aadsas opens).

i have my letters, essays completed already.

so my plan is to apply june 3, take the DAT june 5, and then kill all my summer courses which start AFTER june 5th.

after summer, i plan on doing a 1 yr. masters at a csu.

my only question with this is if i apply early, when will i be able to update my aadsas app with my summer grades?

thanks for all the help! i know it sounds like a lot, but i think if i plan accordingly i can do it.

ram21

7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
oh, and to answer the question above, my cumulative gpa is 3.1

and my best grades in sciences are all in upper, recommended courses like histo, microbio, biochem, anatomy, gchem, ochem.

i pretty much messed up in gen. bio 1st semester freshman year, and genetics sophomore year.

other than that, grades are all B- and above except for my two physics courses which were C's (bring my sgpa down significantly bc they were both 5 unit courses).

supraeli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2008
Status
Dental Student
you can do it, if you really want it. those grades are not dismal enough to put you completely out of the game. if you raise science above 3.0 you will have a legit shot, especially if your DATs get above 20. you need to find out why you did so badly on your first DAT test, and fix it. those scores are pretty bad, but understandable if you were nervous, didnt study enough, were feeling sick, etc.

id say you will have to apply for 2 cycles though, because the schools will probably need your post bacc grades before taking the risk of admitting you. acing summer classes probably wont cut it, but who knows. also very important is amount of shadowing and research experience you have. both will significantly make you a more attractive candidate, and in your case, may be required for admittance.

my last piece of advice is that you MUST MUST know whether this career is worth it all to you. if you don't even feel like you will enjoy dentistry as a lifelong profession, then of course my advice is for you to drop it. there are plenty of other great career options out there, don't make a huge mistake and be narrowminded. but if you are 100% sure this career is what you want, then go for it. you can do it! good luck!

Last edited: