Is Dentistry right for me? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaisingFargo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman in college majoring in liberal arts. In the back of my mind I have always had the desire to be in the medical field (particularly dentistry), because there is absolutely nothing I love more than helping people, interacting with them, and solving complex problems with critical thinking. However, I entered college as liberal arts because I'm not a "math and science guy", but throughout the course of this first semester I've really come to grips with the fact that I should pursue this inclination to help people.

I guess my question is: Even though I do not particularly care for math and science, is becoming a dentist out of the question? Will I even survive the pre-requisite dental school courses if I can't stand them?

Also, is sophomore year too late to begin taking these dental school pre-reqs? As a liberal arts major, lets just say my classes haven't been the most challenging thus far.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Sophomore year is not too late.

If you can't stand the courses, the next six years of your life will be a living hell.

I was in nearly the exact same situation. My senior year I decided to do dentistry as an English Literature major. I found the objectivity of science refreshing and challenging. Changing my career goals set me back a couple years, but I knew that dentistry would be far more fulfilling than...whatever I would do with an English degree (probably teach).

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Shadow a dentist for several months. You will learn a lot and broaden your knowledge/perspective of dentistry when you interact with a dentist and their patients! I highly recommend you do this.
2) Be aware that dentistry is a career in healthcare, but also in the science field. Dentists need to be educated in the sciences to diagnose and educate their patients about their oral hygiene. Also, you will be having science heavy courses in dental school.
Good luck with your decision!

I never thought I was a "science" person until I started completing the pre-requisites for dental school. I quickly learned I really love science and was simply intimated by the idea of taking "weed out" classes. If you commit to pursuing a career in dentistry, don't let people scare you away from the science classes. Just trust yourself and work hard!

And I agree that you should do some shadowing before you commit to this. Also, sophomore year is not too late! I didn't decide I wanted to be a dentist until AFTER college.

I never thought I was a "science" person until I started completing the pre-requisites for dental school. I quickly learned I really love science and was simply intimated by the idea of taking "weed out" classes. If you commit to pursuing a career in dentistry, don't let people scare you away from the science classes. Just trust yourself and work hard!

And I agree that you should do some shadowing before you commit to this. Also, sophomore year is not too late! I didn't decide I wanted to be a dentist until AFTER college.

This. Don't let fear of failure scare you away from a career that you're interested in, and could possibly be quite good at.

It's natural for people to want to learn, period. We're curious primates and nothing about our evolution says that we should discriminate about what we learn. We have only been conditioned to believe that one subject is interesting and another is not. This is reversible. I used to think studying history and philosophy were pointless. After reading Nietzsche, I still think history and philosophy is pointless. :D
Unceasingly ask yourself "why?" and "how?" for everything and you'll gradually grow a broad interest. If you ask yourself a "how?" question for any Biology question, you end up answering and asking with another Biochemistry question, then a Chemistry answer, then a Physics question, then a Quantum Physics question, then a Math question, and then a Philosophical question. Ultimately, you'll arrive at an existential question and get all depressed and confused.

You could have any other reasonable occupation (like a social worker) and still be able to "help" other people. You could be a CFO helping a narrow group of people get money and still manage to help humanity in general on your free time. With medicine and dentistry, it is a necessity to draw on basic science and clinical knowledge to do the helping. Doing well in basic science and medicine is about having a certain mindset; it isn't necessarily measured by arbitrary grades. You have to think like a scientist in order to be a good clinician who can make differential diagnosis, treatment plans, and in the case of dentistry, also have the manual dexterity. You have to ask yourself what is the problem, what is the given data, what methods are available, and narrow down the options to the best solution. It's all reasoning and logic sprinkled with a few moments when creative solutions are needed.

Many people have a fantasy where they'll be showered with thanks from grateful patients when they become a physician or dentist and this leads themselves to believe that the act of helping, by itself, is an appropriate motivation to becoming a physician or any other profession. But it isn't the act of helping that attracts them because there many other jobs that serve to help others but receive no thanks. Rather it's their ego of being perceived as a "good" person and the external validation of others via thanksgiving that they are attracted to. As a physician or dentist, this gets old quick and you'll need another form of motivation for you to be happy as a physician or dentist. It must be the actual job that motivates you. Ideal and happy physicians love the practice of medicine which draws on the content of all basic sciences. If you aren't the least bit interested in these core sciences, how could you seriously be infatuated with practice of medicine or dentistry? With dentistry the same is true except that you have to add in the fact that you must love working with your hands, doing tangible things, and seeing quick results.

No I don't think dentistry is right for you.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it, only you can hemper yourself. If you're not good at math and science, get a tutor and work rehearse what you learn every, single day. If you like a lot of things to do with you hand, wink wink, you can do it just fine. If you want to have a life and be your own boss, do Dentistry. If you're not scared of actually trying to know your patients and dig in their mouths all day to solve complex dental problems, go for it. Some of the smartest minds had alot of issues, even Ben Carson was below his class, but he went to the highest aptitude of learning...