192LT192

5+ Year Member
May 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
so basically thats my question.

my test is next thursday and i took one kaplan full test. i plan on doing a second kaplan test and for sure 3 topscore. my weakness is bio and i need to spend the time learning the stuff rather than taking the tests (i think).

has anyone NOT done achiever and just topscore and done well on the real dat?

do you think you learned so much from achiever that you would never walk into the real dat without having done their 3 tests?

opinions please! thanks!

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
I know several people who didnt use achiever and did great on the DAT, and most of the people who i knew that had achiever spoke bad about it. But i bought it anyway, and i hate it, i guess its good for extra questions, and i do ok on it but i really dont like it, and if i knew this i wouldnt have bought it(obviously) but its your choice because extra questions to study never hurt. Plus alot of people do like it..

OP

192LT192

5+ Year Member
May 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
nervermind for the science bc i heard its too hard for that but what about for the math and reading?

is it worth it to buy it for the math and reading? im using math drestroyer and CDM for math. but im just using topscore (3) and my kaplan tests (2) for reading. is it too risky to go into it having just done 5 RC tests total?

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
After doing my 2nd achiever test halfway through, I hated the software and the questions so much that I uninstalled it from my computer, and it didn't really hurt me!

OP

192LT192

5+ Year Member
May 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
so how does this sound?

Yesterday- kaplan #1
Today (Mon)- studying
tuesday- topscore #1
wednesday- studying
thursday- topscore #2
friday- kaplan #2
sunday- studying
monday- topscore #3
tuesday- studying
wednesday- relax
thursday- test

should i be taking the 3rd topscore on tuesday (closer to the test) or keep it monday? maybe i should get achiever to do only the math and reading and pat parts.

OP

192LT192

5+ Year Member
May 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
After doing my 2nd achiever test halfway through, I hated the software and the questions so much that I uninstalled it from my computer, and it didn't really hurt me!
what was so bad about the questions? too hard? poorly worded?

Last edited:
May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
what was so bad about the questions? too hard? poorly worded?
It's not that they're so hard, it's more like they're out to get you with overcomplicated calculations and stuff.
Your actual exam won't be anything like Achiever, so if you're short on time, I personally don't think it would hurt you if you decide to skip it.

OP

192LT192

5+ Year Member
May 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
ok thanks that makes me a little less stressed!

what do you think about my above plan? do you think doing my last practice test then is good or i should do it a day later?

Jun 8, 2009
Status
Dental Student
your plan sounds good but make sure you have time to go over all the mistakes you got and to digest them. I really liked doing topscore 3 last a couple days before my test (I did it yesterday... test is tomorrow). I did well on it and went up a couple points in every category, although i heard its a easier than the first two. But it's a definite confidence booster a couple days before the test.

dl9006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2008
Status
Dental Student
imo achiever is a waste of precious time.

the science questions are useless(a lot of obscure details)..