Is Dr Collins REALLY that helpful. insights please on study tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebwol88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done all the dr collins practice tests. Alot of the questions are repeats from the previous practice tests and seemed VERY simple. So I am wondering, is it really THAT helpful? For example, theres only a handful of bio concepts they ask over and over again. I bought this off someone, so I hope it isnt fake =(. Can someone please help me?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too bad especially for the Verbal and Reading portions, I know they really skim through the bio and chem portion, but it's sufficient, get the Kaplan book for reassurance on the bio and chem if needed. Some of the analogies I studied showed up on the actual PCAT exam. Dr. Collins gives you a lot of practice tests so that's helpful even though they seem ridiculously easy. I think they're pretty comparable, though probably slightly easier than the actual PCAT. But it's always tough to replicate an actual test taking scenario, sometimes time becomes a factor and panic sets in and whatnot. The PCAT overall isn't that bad.

I don't really have anything to compare it too but I'll say this.

Collins test prep and the Pearson practice tests were the only thing I studied, and I didn't study very much. I did maybe 2-3 hours a week for about five weeks before the test and I got high 70's low 80's on every section. I'd say 4-5 of the Biology, and 2-3 of the Analogies were word for word the same with an additional 3-4 Sentence Completions/Analogies being synonymous with ones I studied.

The only thing I didn't spend a single minute studying was reading and i got a 40 (lol). Keep that in mind though. Obviously focus on Bio/Chem but study the rest of the sections equally because that 40 probably lowered my composite 3-5 points.

My advice, study the packets but recognize concepts from questions you missed, write them down and spend a bit of time in old books/notes to fully understand them. If you only focus on answers to specific questions you'll get a superficial understanding of the concepts you need to learn.

I don't really have anything to compare it too but I'll say this.

Collins test prep and the Pearson practice tests were the only thing I studied, and I didn't study very much. I did maybe 2-3 hours a week for about five weeks before the test and I got high 70's low 80's on every section. I'd say 4-5 of the Biology, and 2-3 of the Analogies were word for word the same with an additional 3-4 Sentence Completions/Analogies being synonymous with ones I studied.

The only thing I didn't spend a single minute studying was reading and i got a 40 (lol). Keep that in mind though. Obviously focus on Bio/Chem but study the rest of the sections equally because that 40 probably lowered my composite 3-5 points.

My advice, study the packets but recognize concepts from questions you missed, write them down and spend a bit of time in old books/notes to fully understand them. If you only focus on answers to specific questions you'll get a superficial understanding of the concepts you need to learn.

Thanks for this piece of advice. I just bough a Dr. Collins package and will focus more on it. I bumbed the Oct PCAT even though all my pearson practice test showed i was some where in the 60-80 % range. I can't exaplain what happned but my scores were so low i can't even mount the courage to mention them on here. Now my chance of getting into Pharmacy school are waiting one more year to get into Pharm school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this piece of advice. I just bough a Dr. Collins package and will focus more on it. I bumbed the Oct PCAT even though all my pearson practice test showed i was some where in the 60-80 % range. I can't exaplain what happned but my scores were so low i can't even mount the courage to mention them on here. Now my chance of getting into Pharmacy school are waiting one more year to get into Pharm school.

Get the Dr. Collin's stuff. I borrowed it from a friend and studied from it ~3 days for the pcat and there were verbatim questions on my actual pcat from that. also, lots of the verbal vocab was on there I just didn't spend enough time studying to fully understand each one and there were a few on mine I missed probably because of it. Definitely borrow it or buy it if you need something more to study. Very worth it

Last edited:
I also purchased Dr. Collins. My score increased from a 47% Composite to an 80% Composite. I studied for a good 6-8 weeks solid every day!! The Verbal Section is really good to study (exact questions from Dr. Collins were seen on the test, so MEMORIZE....trust me!) And the same with Biology & Chemistry (exact questions on test). However, I also studied using the Kaplan book (has an AMAZING biology section...some people say it goes too in-depth but at least you will know everything). About 1 or 2 weeks before you take it, BUY the Pearson practice tests.. I think practicing taking the test numerous times is a major reason why I finished every section with time to go back and review answers...except math lol. But good luck!!

I also purchased Dr. Collins. My score increased from a 47% Composite to an 80% Composite. I studied for a good 6-8 weeks solid every day!! The Verbal Section is really good to study (exact questions from Dr. Collins were seen on the test, so MEMORIZE....trust me!) And the same with Biology & Chemistry (exact questions on test). However, I also studied using the Kaplan book (has an AMAZING biology section...some people say it goes too in-depth but at least you will know everything). About 1 or 2 weeks before you take it, BUY the Pearson practice tests.. I think practicing taking the test numerous times is a major reason why I finished every section with time to go back and review answers...except math lol. But good luck!!

How can one practice pearson numerous times? I thought after you submit one test and get your score, you can only review. Its doesn't let you re-set the test and take it all over again, does it? I bought all three test and took them before the Oct pact session. Right now, i can only review them or buy another set to practice. I may be wrong?

How can one practice pearson numerous times? I thought after you submit one test and get your score, you can only review. Its doesn't let you re-set the test and take it all over again, does it? I bought all three test and took them before the Oct pact session. Right now, i can only review them or buy another set to practice. I may be wrong?

practice the Dr. Collins practice tests...i did the Pearson tests and then reviewed the answers I got wrong, and I practiced Dr. Collins tests numerous times...sorry for the confusion :)

Hello,
Do you have the Oct 2010 update?

There are 3 versions of the Official PCAT practice test. http://tpc-etesting.com/PCATOPT/

They are $40 a piece or $60 for two or $80 for three.

If you've already taken them, you can't buy another set.

Hello all,
I am taking the PCAT january 22nd and in the application process for UF. I was wondering if someone could give me some more info on the "Dr. Collins Packet" I keep reading about on here? I searched and found http://www.pcatprepclass.com/ , which offers a self study course for $325 , but want to make sure I'm purchasing the right thing.

I'm about 1/2 way through the Kaplan book and my pre professional GPA is 3.65. I'm taking my last round of prereqs this coming spring (Organic 2 & Physics 2). Everything in the kaplan book looks pretty easy besides the biology is pretty indepth, but I'd like to have some other material to go through, especially since I've read here that people saw some of the exact questions from that packet on the PCAT.

Thanks in advance for the help and good luck to all of you.