is education a right or a privilege?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhyNOT111

USC Dentistry 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I say right...

Members don't see this ad.

Up to a certain point,say through high school, I'd say right. And like other rights, if you abuse it, you should lose it. Anything after high school is a privilege.

I know many people who can't afford to the universities that they get accepted to. It's true that FAFSA grant can cover most of them but I still want to say privilege over right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Up to a certain point,say through high school, I'd say right. And like other rights, if you abuse it, you should lose it. Anything after high school is a privilege.

I agree...when school starts costing thousands of dollars a year, I would say its a privilege to go.

it's a privilege because if it were a right everyone would be able to go for free and the gov would get involved. If you have ever waited in line at the post office, then you know you don't want them involved with our education.

Education is a right, attending a University or other institution is a privilege. If there's anything you want to learn you can learn it outside of the classroom. Unfortunately practice of your knowledge is a privilege too.

Dental school is a privilege. And we should all remember that when it is time to donate money to our dental schools. Pay back the gift they have given you.

Oh, USC is already doing that for its students through their tuition. :laugh:

Higher Education is definitely a privilege. While I can say with certainty that the individuals who use this forum are some of the few that actually take their higher education seriously, and view it as a privilege. I don't know this holds true for most Universities, but there are only a hand full of disciplines that really demand the dedication that we all know. Would you work your ass of in your undergrad, if you had not have made the commitment to do whatever need be to become a dentist and serve people? Prob. not. Maybe I am just in a unique situation (One of the top 5ish Universities for binge drinking in the US :barf: ), and people are so lazy. Thank god that I am able to manage fun time with my studies. :laugh:

Even primary and secondary education are a privilege when looked at from a worldly view. We are privileged to be Americans!! Sorry Canadian readers. Dub in music: Lee Greenwood-Proud To Be An American.

With great privilege come great responsibility. Make the most of it.