Is EK 101 as hard as AAMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

estradiol9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did your scores on EK compare to the real MCAT? I score between 9-11 on EK101. My prehealth advisor told me that practice test scores are inflated and that a 10 on an EK verbal test is like an 8 on the real MCAT... For some reason, I have a hard time believing this. These testing companies make guarantees to raise your score, etc, so if anything wouldn't they give you a LOWER score than you would get on a real MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

How did your scores on EK compare to the real MCAT? I score between 9-11 on EK101. My prehealth advisor told me that practice test scores are inflated and that a 10 on an EK verbal test is like an 8 on the real MCAT... For some reason, I have a hard time believing this. These testing companies make guarantees to raise your score, etc, so if anything wouldn't they give you a LOWER score than you would get on a real MCAT?

I normally score lower on EK than I do on the AAMC verbal passages.

verbal? Need tips bruh!

I consistently scored 9s, hit a 11 on the real thing.

Theres a big difference in that a lot ofthe EK verbal problems do not make sense/are not actually solvable due to poor design.
Compensating for those, you should score higher on the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've thrown my EK 101 against the wall a couple of times, some of the answers are so arguable it's hard not to get angry.

I don't know my actual MCAT score yet but in general I found real AAMC passages and questions to be better written and therefore "easier" than the ones in EK 101. My scores on the EK verbal sections were always in the 10-12 range, whereas on the AAMC CBTs I got 12s and 13s. Like another poster said, many of the EK verbal problems just aren't well written and/or don't make sense.

I've thrown my EK 101 against the wall a couple of times, some of the answers are so arguable it's hard not to get angry.

I agree. I recently took EK verbal 101 number 3 and some of the the answers I put seem so reasonable but they are still wrong. I got a 9 :/.

My last EK exam that i took was very similar in style with the real thing . and i got the same score 9
I think it was EK 10
VR ranges like any other section with each test and sometimes we get more interesting and more readable passages.
I got 1.5 points higher on real thing than my average on AAMC on VR..

I half assed the real thing and took it before doing anyhting for verbal and got a 10. Im using EK verbal now and got 8s on their first two practice tests Lols. But then after that I hit 10-12 range consistently. your actual score may be 1-2 points higher then your ek score i think.

Maybe I'm the anomoly but I find EK passages easier and the questions more difficult. I found too many AAMC passages overly convulted, but the questions themselves were much more straight-forward.