SN3

Nov 11, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I plan on studying on my own for the mcat and I have purchased the Examkrackers boxed set and their 1001 question books. If you go to the EK website, they give you a study plan for their boxed set which is set up so that each day you read a section of their book and then you listen to the audio osmosis corresponding to that section. Has anyone found audio osmosis helpful? I am the type of learner that needs to read, take notes, and work through examples. I don't think listening to a CD would be helpful to me, but if it is necessary for their program then i will give it a shot. Any opinions on audio osmosis?

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
If you don't think it will be useful for you, then it probably won't. It most definitely isn't necessary, but I used it, and I enjoyed it. It's primary purpose for me was reviewing the topics I read during the day while I laid in bed trying to fall asleep. I think you remember what you hear right before you sleep. Their corny jokes were hilarious and helped me remember a few random things.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
OP, only commenting b/c your name is....umm... rare. How's that mechanism go again?

Nov 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I find that the only section worth listening to is biology. Physics/chemistry is too hard to visualize without a textbook.

But for biology, I find myself remembering some of the stuff from listening to it. I would say there is no harm in listening, its better than doing nothing when you don't feel like studying hardcore.

WorldChanger36

7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I find it very useful. I understand proton nmr because of those CDs. Also very helpful in remembering useful tidbits. I am listening to it right now...

OP
S

SN3

Nov 11, 2009
Status
OP, only commenting b/c your name is....umm... rare. How's that mechanism go again?
I joined SDN while i was studying for the ACS organic chem exam. SN3 was amusing to me at the time...i was probably studying too much, lol

OP
S

SN3

Nov 11, 2009
Status
I find that the only section worth listening to is biology. Physics/chemistry is too hard to visualize without a textbook.

But for biology, I find myself remembering some of the stuff from listening to it. I would say there is no harm in listening, its better than doing nothing when you don't feel like studying hardcore.
That is what I was thinking. I'll probably still go ahead and buy it though, just in case one of their random bad jokes sticks in my head and helps me remember something.

Asklepian

10+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Audio Osmosis CDs were the bomb, for me. I did the Kaplan prep, and much preferred the EK. As someone who wasn't a science major, and went pre-med later in life and college, it helped me with the conceptual level, and inter-relating concepts between fields. I recommend it

medisforme

Family Medicine resident
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Canada
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As has already been mentioned, the audio osmosis CD's are mainly good for reviewing material. I had them in my car the whole time I was studying, and would only play them while driving (went 3 months without listening to a music CD or the radio in my car). I found the info started to sink in after listening to it upteen times while driving.

Nov 30, 2010
Status
I've been listening to them while at work, like others have said I mostly use the Biology section.

Although keep in mind people have reported errors in the information they provide. I figured this out on amazon.com here is a list of errors found so far:

CD #3 Track 17: The terms 'cohesive' and 'adhesive' are reversed when Jordan says:
"The cohesive forces of water to glass are greater than the adhesive forces of water to water. The cohesive forces can cause a water column to climb the glass of a thin test tube. This is called capillary action. If the adhesive forces are stronger than the cohesive forces, like mercury in a glass test tube, the miniscus is convexed and will be pulled downward in a thin test tube."

He should have said:
"The adhesive forces of water to glass are greater than the cohesive forces of water to water. The adhesive forces can cause a water column to climb the glass of a thin test tube. This is called capillary action. If the cohesive forces are stronger than the adhesive forces, like mercury in a glass test tube, the miniscus is convexed and will be pulled downward in a thin test tube."

All other references to cohesive and adhesive are correct.

Cohesive forces are the forces between molecules within the fluid, such as water-to-water forces. Adhesive forces are the forces between the molecules of the fluid and the container, such as water-to-glass.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CD #4 Track 2: Coulomb's law constant is 8.9x10 to the positive 9 not negative 9.

This edit is courtesy of one of our astute listeners. Thank you for the edit.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CD #4 Track 18: When discussing the critical angle Jordan says "If the light is moving from a lower idex of refraction to a higher index of refraction..."

Total internal reflection occurs when light tries to move from a medium with a HIGH index of refraction to a medium with a LOW index of refraction and the angle of incidence is so great that all the light is reflected back into the high indexed medium.

In the same discussion, Jon says "The larger index of refraction must be on the top of the ratio." when solving for the critical angle with Snell's law. The opposite is true. The larger index of refraction must be on the bottom of the ratio, so that the ratio is a fraction less than one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CD #5 Track #7: Stand alone timers are no longer allowed on the MCAT. You are limited to a watch.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CD #6 Track 5: Jon says "The equilibrium expression changes with temperature, but is not affected by a catalyst or by concentrations." He should have said "The equilibrium CONSTANT changes with temperature, but the EQUILIBRIUM EXPRESSION does not. Neither the equilibrium expression nor the equilibrium constant is affected by a catalyst or by concentrations. "
CD #6 track #15: Jordan says that the net heat transfer rate is proportional to... ...the temperature difference between the body and the environment raised to the fourth power. net heat transfer = sigma*epsilon*A*(T^4 - Te^4).

The net heat transfer is actually proportional to

T^4 - Te^4) NOT (T-Te)^4

At low temperture differences, Newton's law of cooling says that the rate of cooling of a body is approximately proportional to the temperature difference between the body and the environment.
CD #7 Track 2: While discussing melting Jon says "It is interesting to relate thermodynamics to the heat curve... ...But the enthalpy change is NEGATIVE"

Jon should have said "It is interesting to relate thermodynamics to the heat curve... ...But the enthalpy change is POSITIVE" Both enthalpy change and entropy change are positive during melting. Everything else in the track still applies. If both entropy and enthalpy change are positive, delta G depends upon temperature.
CD #7 Track #8: Jordan says "Lewis acids: donate; bases: accept." This is backwards. Lewis acids accept a pair of electrons and Lewis bases donate a pair of electrons.
CD #7 track #10: Jordan says that the pH of a solution with a hydrogen ion concentration of 3.6x10^-4 is 4.5. It is 3.5.
CD #7 Track #11: Jordan says "The log of A times B equals the log A times the log of B." He should say "The log of A times B equals the log of A plus the log of B."
CD #7 Track 26: Jon says "..the arteriole red blood cells contain fewer chloride ions than venous red blood cells."

If Jon had been thinking correctly he would have said "..the arteriole red blood cells contain MORE chloride ions than venous red blood cells."
CD #7 Track 30: Jordan says "If delta G zero is positive, K is greater than one. If delta G zero is negative, then K is less than one." This is backwards. A positive delta G zero indicates a K less than one, and a negative delta G zero indicates a K greater than one.
CD #8 Track 23: Jon says "...dragging the second tRNA to the P site, adn exposing the P site for yet another tRNA."
Jon should say: "...dragging the second tRNA to the P site, and exposing the A site for yet another tRNA."
CD #8 track 23: DNA and RNA are read 5 to 3. Anticodons are an exception and they are read 3-5. This track says that the anticodon is read 5 to 3. This is incorrect. This knowledge is very unlikely to be tested by the MCAT.
CD #9,Track 50: says that the oocyte undergoes meiosis 1 and 2 after penetration by the sperm.

This is incorrect for humans. The correct process is as follows:
"Oogenesis begins in the ovaries of the fetus. All the eggs of the female are arrested as primary oocytes at birth... ...Shortly before the primary oocyte is released from the follicle during ovulation, the nucleus divides by meiosis to become the secondary oocyte... ...The entry of the sperm causes the cortical reaction, which prevents other sperms from fertilizing the same egg. Now the oocyte goes through the second meiotic division releasing a second polar body. Fertilization occurs when the nuclei of the egg and sperm fuse to form the zygote."
CD #12 Track 3: Jordan says "isn't there a way to add the halogen to the MOST substituted carbon?" and Jon says, "with peroxides... HYDROGEN adds the most substituted carbon"...

Jordan should say "Halogen to the LEAST sustituted carbon".
CD #12 track #6: Hydroboration.

Jordan says, "Now is there a way to hydrate an ALCOHOL with anti-markovnikov addition."

Jordan should have said ALKENE instead?
CD #10 Track 8: The track incorrectly reads: "nutrients are absorbed into the enterocytes of the small intestines mainly in the DUODENUM"

Duodenum does mostly digestion and jejunem and ileum do most of the absorption.

This being said, I don't think I'll take the MCAT until I get to the point where I recognize any errors on my own. At that level of knowledge I think I'll be well prepared. Anyways I enjoy listening to them while doing less productive things like work for minimum wage or gaming. :)

Jul 30, 2010
Status
Other Health Professions Student
The audio CD has helped me a lot. Like others have said, it should not be used as the primary source of learning the material as books are definitely better for that. But its great for reviewing the concepts.
I am using it a lot for orgo and bio. While eating meals, instead of watching a TV show, I just listen to the CD. I also like the EK verbal strategy the most, so I listen to the verbal section at least once a week to have it internalized.

May 17, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I just started listening to Audio Osmosis and I wouldn't use this as your sole source for preparing for the exam. It is cheesy and could use an update, but if you're in your car or somewhere you can't read, it might provide a decent review.

Mar 3, 2011
Status
I plan on studying on my own for the mcat and I have purchased the Examkrackers boxed set and their 1001 question books. If you go to the EK website, they give you a study plan for their boxed set which is set up so that each day you read a section of their book and then you listen to the audio osmosis corresponding to that section. Has anyone found audio osmosis helpful? I am the type of learner that needs to read, take notes, and work through examples. I don't think listening to a CD would be helpful to me, but if it is necessary for their program then i will give it a shot. Any opinions on audio osmosis?
I don't see the point of this unless the MCAT is an oral test. My friend had this, he would listen to it all the time, this sucked majorly for long drives.

PingPongPro

7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Im not sure how much it has helped me, but relying on it alone is probably not smart.

The one thing i remember from the series verbatim is:

"So how do you make a hormone"
"you just dont pay her"

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I don't see the point of this unless the MCAT is an oral test. My friend had this, he would listen to it all the time, this sucked majorly for long drives.
You can only learn via the medium the test is administered in? What? I guess all those lectures in college were useless since the exams were all written.

lol @ the hormone joke. I loved that one, and was totally not expecting it when I was listening.

Mar 3, 2011
Status
You can only learn via the medium the test is administered in? What? I guess all those lectures in college were useless since the exams were all written.
Actually, I listened to the podcasts while typing up the notes and read the notes. I could never just listen and absorb.

BME11

7+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
i listen while i run and I try to get some stuff in like short pneumatic that the make up but you really need to read the books.

Feb 11, 2011
Wonderland
Status
Pre-Medical
i listen while i run and I try to get some stuff in like short pneumatic that the make up but you really need to read the books.
:prof: pneumatic = mnemonic? :prof:

I used the tapes as a supplement and found them useful. I agree that these are definitely not a standalone solution, but were very good for turning rush hour traffic into review time. As far as the errors are concerned. Know your content from elsewhere and you'll subconsciously edit out their occasional mistakes. As for their "humor"... :barf: just fast-forward 30 seconds when you hear a joke starting.

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Is EK AO still up to date with all the current information contained on the MCAT?
Yes, the content really hasn't changed in the last few years. It's a supplement anyway.

Sep 25, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, the content really hasn't changed in the last few years. It's a supplement anyway.
Is there information on AAMC topic list that is not covered in AO?

Is their stuff that is covered in the EK chapters that is not covered in AO?

The EK 1001 books seem to only have problems relating to what is said in the AO books, is this incorrect?

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Is there information on AAMC topic list that is not covered in AO?

Is their stuff that is covered in the EK chapters that is not covered in AO?

The EK 1001 books seem to only have problems relating to what is said in the AO books, is this incorrect?
AO pretty much mirrors the EK Complete Study Package, which contains everything you need to know for the MCAT. AO may gloss over some things with a little less detail than the book though, but it shouldn't be used in place of the books anyway. I've never used the 1001 books so I can't comment how it relates to them, aside from saying they pretty much focus on what is on the MCAT, so it certainly should overlap with what AO says. Keep in mind that the EK books really don't give you excess knowledge - if they say it, it's on the MCAT, and if it's on the MCAT, they say it.

Swagster

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I made the mistake of thinking AO was something you could passively do. Background noise that could make you an MCAT genius. It doesn't work that way. It's like sleeping during lecture and thinking you're absorbing info. You have to treat it like a lecture.

The problem I had is that I couldn't listen to their voices for very long before it began grating on my nerves. It's definitely not for everyone. How helpful it is depends on the person. I quickly learned that I prefer printed books to any other medium. So while I don't think AO is very useful, I'm sure there are people out there that it works for.

Then there's this question-

Is EK AO still up to date with all the current information contained on the MCAT?
This has been the knock on all of the EK material (books and AO). It hasn't been updated in years and what the MCAT emphasizes has supposedly changed recently. Their mistakes date back many years, so it's hard to take their insights seriously. I plan to take anything EK says is heavily tested or not tested with a grain of salt.

Sitagliptin

7+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I find it very useful. I understand proton nmr because of those CDs. Also very helpful in remembering useful tidbits. I am listening to it right now...
Wow, that's where I found it to be most valuable too. Its explanation of other lab techniques were good as well. Some of the "stories" they tell to help you remember things (like their story about how to distinguish between nucleotides and nucleosides) were very amusing and offbeat, which made them memorable to me.

It's definitely not needed, but I found it useful. However, I would posit that it's only useful AFTER everything has been read. If you're driving in your car or jogging or something (which is when I listened to it) after having done this, then that's the way to go.

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
This has been the knock on all of the EK material (books and AO). It hasn't been updated in years and what the MCAT emphasizes has supposedly changed recently. Their mistakes date back many years, so it's hard to take their insights seriously. I plan to take anything EK says is heavily tested or not tested with a grain of salt.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. The material hasn't changed in many years, although the emphasis has slightly changed. However, emphasising material is very different than stating what you need to know and what you don't. EK tells you exactly what you need to know, whereas the other books give you WAY too much info. Sure the MCAT focuses more on genetics and less on orgo, but you still need to know all of the orgo they tell you (with the exception of alkenes, which they even state) and you don't need to know any more genetics than what they give you. As for the mistakes, yes they have a few typos, why they haven't fixed them I don't know, but really none of them should affect your knowledge.

Kphrogg

5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Washington State
Status
Medical Student
I personally did not find AO very useful. I listened to all of it and did not get a lot of extra information from it. However, they do offer some useful mnemonics in AO that are not in their regular books.

Nevertheless, unless you are either a strong verbal learner or can't design your own mnemonics, I would recommend sticking with the main books and doing as many of the 1001 questions as you can.