Is EK Bio with EK Bio 1001 enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FollowTheMoney

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out whether or not this will be enough background knowledge and practice for the BS portion of the MCAT. I was contemplating ordering either TPRH Bio or BR Bio but didn't end up doing it. However, I looked at the recent responses from the 4/10/10 MCAT, and it seems like the biology portion of the MCAT was a detailed "bloodbath". Now, I'm starting to feel like maybe EK is a little too superficial and the AAMC is transitioning towards more detail oriented biology due to the increased competitiveness and intelligence of the average test taker. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not taken the MCAT, but I agree with the above statement.

I've completed 25% of the TBR Bio and EK 1001 Bio. I decided to brush the dust off my TBR Bio books given my performance on BS practice tests (GS & TPR) were weak.

TBR Bio is harder than EK1001 Bio on every level.

Passages are longer, questions typically require more integration of the passage, and sometimes better experimental passages. I typically run through a few EK1001 Bio before I touch the complemenatry passages in TBR. Bio EK 1001 is great practice to get the kinks out with a particular topic.

Buy TBR Bio and tear out all of the Lecture content review.
Don't go over the lecture content itis very dense and it is hard to determine what is the critical info, which is why you have EK Bio.

I realize that I didn't answer your question. I can't speak to the value of TBR relative to the recent MCAT.

I'm pretty sure the EK bio has the info you need to get a 14 or 15, but other study aides can only help.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure the EK bio has the info you need to get a 14 or 15, but other study aides can only help.

THAT.

I didn't use any practice problems besides the EK1001 Bio and 2 AAMC full-lengths. I could rarely complete an EK Bio passage without getting at least one question wrong, which wasn't the case on either the AAMC full-lengths or the actual exam. I found the EK bio problems to be in general harder than the actual MCAT passages, so if the TBR passages are even harder, then it's likely an unrealistic portrayal of the actual exam and might screw up your timing.

Now, I'm starting to feel like maybe EK is a little too superficial and the AAMC is transitioning towards more detail oriented biology due to the increased competitiveness and intelligence of the average test taker.

This is incorrect. First of all, assuming there is a trend based on one test will often lead you horribly astray. The January MCAT of this year didn't have many details and many people started claiming the AAMC is moving towards concepts and awar from factual recall. Clearly they are simply mixing things up like they have always done.

As for EK, they are not too superficial as dingyibvs pointed out; their books will cover everything you need to score a perfect score. The question is whether you personally will need more practice than their books give you for the MCAT. If you are a good test taker and also are good at applying concepts, I'd say anything more than EK is unnecessary. If not, you might want the additional practice.