Is EK Chemistry supposed to be harder than TPR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmm..
I just started doing gen. chem from EK books w/o reviewing the material. I have used TPR for my review. I am having a hard time with the EK gen. chem. Is this common?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the EK stuff is trickier than the G. chem stuff in the TPR book, but not necessarily their practice tests. Some of their practice tests are pretty tricky.

I've read the EK Gen. Chem. book a few times, though I've never been able to compare it to another company's prep materials. In the beginning, I used the EK book in conjugation with my old Chemistry book from college. I don't think it was so much that EK Chemistry was hard to understand, but rather it was vague, as one would expect (it is a review book). At any rate, after reading the book a few times and taking a few practice exams, I feel like it serves its purpose as being a good review book.

I've read the EK Gen. Chem. book a few times, though I've never been able to compare it to another company's prep materials. In the beginning, I used the EK book in conjugation with my old Chemistry book from college. I don't think it was so much that EK Chemistry was hard to understand, but rather it was vague, as one would expect (it is a review book). At any rate, after reading the book a few times and taking a few practice exams, I feel like it serves its purpose as being a good review book.
I think he's referring to the practice problems... maybe even EK1001 g.chem?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have EK101 Chem book.
Do you mean the EK Chemistry Book (content review) or EK 1001 book?

I have the EK Chemistry content review book which has the review material followed by practice questions.

I know at the beginning of the book they said that practice questions in this book are purposely selected for -- they are the more difficult types of MCAT questions (EK's reasoning: why put easy-level questions you know you are going to get right anyway). They exclude easy questions to give you more practice with harder questions- so it said to NOT judge the scaled scores as completely accurate.

Again this is for the review book that comes with the complete study package- I am not sure about the 1001 GenChem book.

I remember having a real hard time with a thermo passage on carnot engines. My university doesn't teach that level of thermo in the intro courses. Luckily for me, no such passage showed up for my real MCAT heh.

I thought some real MCAT passages were of comparable difficulty. The EK stuff isn't exactly child's play, but don't let anyone fool you into thinking that the actual MCAT is going to be any easier. You won't really know what you're going to get.