Is EK enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2010premed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the set of 5 books from EK enough for MCAT prep in all subjects? If not, which subjects should be supplemented? Please answer if you have used EK and have already taken the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I used all the EK books, including all the 1001-questions and verbal 101 books. Basically all the concepts are covered, so it is enough to prepare you for the test. However, it depends on your abilities because different books will explain certain concepts in different ways. For me, physics was a weakness, so I also got the Nova book and went through that, and even though they cover the same stuff, I liked the way Nova explained certain topics and EK on other topics. So the combination of the two definitely helped.

The 1001 questions books are good for conceptual practice, it really exposes your weakness and rams it into your head until you get it. They are not good for MCAT-style practice. For test-prep I used the AAMC (obviously) practices and Gold Standard practices.

Search the forums, there is a lot of information about strengths and weakness of different books.

you know I just used my text books for the physics, chemistry and organic chemistry.
For the verbal I read a lot of time Magazines and took a lot of practice tests the AAMC ones are the best for that, but Princeton are OK. Kaplan's are a bit harder than the ones on the actual test, and the best strategy I think the the EK strategy.

I only used EK for select subjects and this was supplementing EK to Kaplan's books.
But, I think that EK is enough depending on your background knowledge.

For Bio, in my opinion, EK is more than sufficient (for physio) and sufficient for genetics- you may want to supplement EK's genetics with Kaplan for example.

I used EK only for MCAT prep. I thought they were great for Orgo and Bio-although as other people have said I would supplement genetics. I really liked their approach to Verbal, that helped me a lot. I would strongly recommend using a different source for Physics and Gen. Chem though. Especially if haven't had in awhile. Good luck!