ddjamb

2+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hi all, just wondering if the EM fellowship a waste for a FM trained candidate who wants to pick up shifts in ER.

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Probably. It's not a "real" fellowship (e.g., no CAQ), and most ERs that are desperate enough to hire an FP likely don't care if you're "fellowship trained" or not.

Reactions: VA Hopeful Dr

Donchissy

7+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I know of an EM fellowship for FM graduates, and those FM trained EM fellows there would not even get hired to work in that same ER where they trained after graduating, He can only work in a smaller community hospital ER, and this is not a big city, this is a suburb/rural city of 90000 population.
If you are interesting in working in an urban setting, id say an FM trained EM fellowship is almost not worth it.
if you just want to do ER regardless of location, then there will be some smaller sized, possibly remote city that could be happy to have you

Reactions: ddjamb
OP
ddjamb

ddjamb

2+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I know of an EM fellowship for FM graduates, and those FM trained EM fellows there would not even get hired to work in that same ER where they trained after graduating
that's embarrassing...

Lexdiamondz

7+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2011
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi all, just wondering if the EM fellowship a waste for a FM trained candidate who wants to pick up shifts in ER.

Depends on what you want to get out of the fellowship. In general there are two main benefits to doing one:

1) Increasing your comfort level with working in the emergency department

2) Increasing your marketability for EM jobs

Truthfully speaking, the fellowship is probably more useful for making you a better ED doc than it is for getting you more ED jobs. It doesn't lead to board eligibility - probably the biggest drawback to doing one as jobs that require board-certified or board-eligible EM physicians still probably won't hire you.

Reactions: septoplasty

AMEHigh

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you currently in residency? Where do you want to work afterwards?

There are definitely places in which FM is still doing everything including EM, hospitalist, OB, etc. I think doing a fellowship would make one more comfortable with taking on that role and make you a better physician, but it likely won’t lead to more job options since many places now you have to be board eligible or certified to work in the ED. But if after you finish residency you’ll be in a location that hires FM for full spectrum care including EM then a fellowship can be helpful for your comfort level.

Streetmath

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Status
Medical Student
I know, at least, where I am currently living, most ER doctors in our few hospitals only completed a FM residency. In addition, most of the ER doctors are fairly "new". The reason, the best bang for your buck for a FM doctor here is in ER. Around 75 percent will only due a handful of ER shifts per month until the student debt is paid off and then, normally, will never work inside the ER again.

Reactions: Make Or Break

MedicineZ0Z

2+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know, at least, where I am currently living, most ER doctors in our few hospitals only completed a FM residency. In addition, most of the ER doctors are fairly "new". The reason, the best bang for your buck for a FM doctor here is in ER. Around 75 percent will only due a handful of ER shifts per month until the student debt is paid off and then, normally, will never work inside the ER again.
Canada is different.