Is EM limited to hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some specialties, such as IM, can be found in both hospital and private settings. But I was wondering if EM offers opportunities only in hospitals, or in private settings as well. EM sounds like a wonderful specialty, but I'm worried about the possible setting limitations.

Members don't see this ad.

coolness said:
Some specialties, such as IM, can be found in both hospital and private settings. But I was wondering if EM offers opportunities only in hospitals, or in private settings as well. EM sounds like a wonderful specialty, but I'm worried about the possible setting limitations.

Sure, the military, and some freestanding urgent care centers are staffed with EP's. Cruise ships, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Joejitsu said:
Yeah, but pay is crap and it's not like you are a clandestine agent.

http://www.cia.gov/employment/jobs/medical_off.html

Joe
Actually, you can apply for the CST program. So you can go oversees. (Not every position is listed on that website.)

Secondly, the CIA is known for its custom shifts. Meaning you could work 3 13 hour days and then work a day per week as an EM physician. That would increase your income.

However, since when is everything about income? The original poster made no reference to income, and for some people, income is not the main determining factor. For me it's happiness when I finish the end of my day.

southerndoc said:
Actually, you can apply for the CST program. So you can go oversees. (Not every position is listed on that website.)

Secondly, the CIA is known for its custom shifts. Meaning you could work 3 13 hour days and then work a day per week as an EM physician. That would increase your income.

However, since when is everything about income? The original poster made no reference to income, and for some people, income is not the main determining factor. For me it's happiness when I finish the end of my day.

$91K is not adequate for my investment in 7 years of graduate education. My personal feeling, ymmv.