Is EM out of my league?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jimmy1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to finish up 3rd year, and I am planning on applying to EM residencies. The problem is, I'm not the most stellar medical student! I passed all of 1 & 2 year courses, but I am in the lower 25% of the class. My Step 1 score was 196. This year I have gotten all B's so far (only 1 clerkship left.) I am worried about applying to EM - and being successful. No EM rotation grade yet. Is EM out of my league?!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll take this one guys...... :rolleyes:

howdy,

This may be the single most asked question on this entire forum since the existence of student doctor network. I'm not saying this to be mean, but seriously is you just look at the stickies above you'll get a HUGE heads up on the EM thing.

Also, just do a search on things like board scores, competitive, etc...there are probably 100 threads dedicated to "am I competitive" topic.

just look around at the stickies and then start doing some searches.

If you still can't find what your looking for come on back and ask for some specifics!

best of luck!

later

Jimmy1 said:
I am about to finish up 3rd year, and I am planning on applying to EM residencies. The problem is, I'm not the most stellar medical student! I passed all of 1 & 2 year courses, but I am in the lower 25% of the class. My Step 1 score was 196. This year I have gotten all B's so far (only 1 clerkship left.) I am worried about applying to EM - and being successful. No EM rotation grade yet. Is EM out of my league?!

nothing is impossible, just more difficult. bust your a$$ on away rotations, get great LOR's, apply to many (60+) programs, take step 2 and rock it, then sit back and wait. i wasn't too far away from where you were and I matched in EM (I also couples matched, which is a bit more challenging). MANY people on this website are gunners (sorry guys but it's true), so don't let their numbers discourage you. EM is competitive (whatever that means), but it's not rocket science. Most places aren't looking for the someone who will find the cure for cancer, rather, they are looking for someone who demonstrates a basic aptitude for medicine, someone who is willing to work hard, not complain, and get the job done.

All programs need a number (board score) just to sift through the applications. Many programs will receive 500+ applications each year for only 8-16 spots. They can only interview a certain number of people per slot, so that being said, if they spent a lot of time reading every persons LOR's and personal statement, etc., they would never get around to interviewing people. So some will have a "cutoff" score that they use just to reduce the # of app's that they have to read.

If you do your away rotations, or home rotations, and find out that EM is really your calling (or just something that you want to do), go for it.

Best of luck to you whichever path you choose. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
kbrown said:
nothing is impossible, just more difficult. bust your a$$ on away rotations, get great LOR's, apply to many (60+) programs, take step 2 and rock it, then sit back and wait. i wasn't too far away from where you were and I matched in EM (I also couples matched, which is a bit more challenging). MANY people on this website are gunners (sorry guys but it's true), so don't let their numbers discourage you. EM is competitive (whatever that means), but it's not rocket science. Most places aren't looking for the someone who will find the cure for cancer, rather, they are looking for someone who demonstrates a basic aptitude for medicine, someone who is willing to work hard, not complain, and get the job done.

All programs need a number (board score) just to sift through the applications. Many programs will receive 500+ applications each year for only 8-16 spots. They can only interview a certain number of people per slot, so that being said, if they spent a lot of time reading every persons LOR's and personal statement, etc., they would never get around to interviewing people. So some will have a "cutoff" score that they use just to reduce the # of app's that they have to read.

If you do your away rotations, or home rotations, and find out that EM is really your calling (or just something that you want to do), go for it.

Best of luck to you whichever path you choose. :thumbup:
Amen!

Thanks for your replies! I know I have seen others' "do i have a chance" posts, but usually they have stats like: GPA 3.9, Step1 245, all honors in 3rd year... I know the entire applicant pool can't relate to that!

Amen to the above. I also would suggest your going to (although kinda last minute) the SAEM in SF, but I think ACEP's SA in New Orleans in October would be a must (www.acep.org). Dedication to the specialty is big and participating in your EMIG, being a member of ACEP/EMRA and going to conferences is a big plus. You'd only have to go to one day of SA if you have to: the day of the residency fair. This way you can chat with residents and PD's mono a mono and they can put your name to your face. It also shows your interest. I met many people (including the PD at my new program, the chief, another senior resident and the PD's wife, also faculty) at the residency fair last year. I actively emailed them and when I interviewed they remembered me from the fair, as well as my involvement with EMRA and AAWEP. Although my numbers and grades were pretty good, I think it was my dedication to the specialty and my leadership abilities that put me over the top.
All the best!
MJ :luck:

P.S. A friend of mine who failed step one once matched in EM a couple of years ago. She applied to 60 programs and was willing to go anywhere. But she will be a board-certified emergency physician.

Jimmy1 said:

Can you pick up a phone and ask for a consult? Can you write an order for a blood pressure?

The TX OMS said:
Can you pick up a phone and ask for a consult? Can you write an order for a blood pressure?

Ooooh...look at the big bad dentist. Trolling on the EM board.

Jimmy1 said:

Previous posters cover it. I would emphasize casting the net WIDE when applying.

Wook

an important point for this discussion that is rarely brought up....take a good look at the nrmp statistics for each specialty to determine competitiveness. i can't remember the exact numbers from this year, but em filled somewhere around 95% of around 1200 available slots, and roughly 80% with us grads. the distilled point here is that there are PLENTY of spots available for a us grad, regardless of numbers. a strong med school performance gives you more choices, but a training in em is well within your reach.

EM is very diverse and attainable. I am sure you are competitive in your own right. In fact, maybe you should try talking to your - oh what the heck am I doing? Fatty McFattypants.

One of my best friends failed year 2, got a crappy step 1 score and was still basically able to pick his residency from a couple programs here in the Detroit metro area (He rocked step 2 and did great in his EM rotations plus he is a charming person). You can't change anything that happened in the past, just try to put together your best application from this point forward. You have 1 GIANT plus to your application: you are a grad from a US medical school. Just immagine if you had to deal with the biasis of a non-US medical education. There is a spot out there for you.

Yep... but while I think you shouldnt be discouraged dont go thinking that because you are a US grad youll have your pick. There will be a ton of places who will reject you. That being said if you apply broadly enough you will match somewhere assuming you arent a sociopath.

Dr.Evil1 said:
One of my best friends failed year 2, got a crappy step 1 score and was still basically able to pick his residency from a couple programs here in the Detroit metro area (He rocked step 2 and did great in his EM rotations plus he is a charming person). You can't change anything that happened in the past, just try to put together your best application from this point forward. You have 1 GIANT plus to your application: you are a grad from a US medical school. Just immagine if you had to deal with the biasis of a non-US medical education. There is a spot out there for you.
A cautionary tale.. I knew someone like this too..fell back a yr I dont know how poorly they did on step 1 and 2 but I think not too well. He was nice but real weird.. long story short.. he didnt match in EM..