Is Emergency Medicine a Primary Care Specialty?

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Verified Expert
Apr 28, 2007
  1. Attending Physician
    By whom? I mean I dunno the ones I know refer to themselves as ER docs. Up until a couple of years ago you could even become a fellow of the ACEP if you worked in EM and had completed an FM residency.

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/policy/policies/e/emposition.html

Really interesting write up on the history of EM/FM.

The TLDR is there are a LOT of FM docs working in EM.
    Aye, and there can be some pretty nice salaries/perks out there if an FM doc is willing to relocate to the wilderness and work in the ER.

Guero

2QT2Bcis Plaidapus
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Jan 20, 2010
    Tropical Tropicana
    forums.studentdoctor.net
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      There are also IM/EM dual residencies now (about 9 programs or so) like the ole Med-Peds folks. I'm very interested in it, too. So much of what you see in the ED, as has already been discussed, is IM related or outright IM (e.g., diabetes left untreated, routine otitis and sinusitis, onychocryptosis etc). Likewise, it's a huge help to have EM training when serving an ultra rural community or a wilderness outpost. It kind of reminds me of fusion cuisine for a career. LoL

/tangent

P.S. +1: wow @ the revival of a 6 y/o thread

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
      Volunteer Staff
      Lifetime Donor
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      May 22, 2008
      Deep in the heart of Texas
      1. Attending Physician
        This actually came up with some EM preceptors today, and they consider themselves PCPs.

In reference to the above, these docs are also older so they did IM residency and somehow got into EM. They never completed recertification for IM and I think just do the EM boards now.

(sent from my phone)

About the Ads
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.