is epidemiology useful for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

husky10501

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Epidemiology would help you if u were to take it before med school? Some one posted that stats and anatomy would be good but is epi?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Epidemiology would help you if u were to take it before med school? Some one posted that stats and anatomy would be good but is epi?

Will it help specifically during the pre-clinical or clinical years? I reserve the right to be wrong, but I doubt it will be much of an asset. However, if the topic interests you, you want to do epidemiological research while in school, or you're considering getting an MPH along with or after your MD, go for it!

I would agree that it is most useful along the lines of the MPH program--i.e. if you are interested in a career in health policy, infectious diseases, community health, etc where epidemiology is important, it might be a good class to take, but an MPH in epidemiology would be taking that another step forward. Otherwise, the epidemiology you learn in medical school is simply disease transmission methods, a few statistics, and then specifics for certain diseases, so taking a course now would be relatively low-yield in terms of giving you a leg up.