1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is everything you need to know in the prep books?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by petlee1, Jul 22, 2011.

1. petlee1

petlee1 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    This might be a stupid question but wanted to make sure before I sell all my textbook

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MShopes

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I highly highly suggest that you don't sell them yet. Some stuff are never explained in adequate matter in prep books and you might need the textbook for in depth review to understand. For example, the only way I could understand and use the right hand-rule was from my textbook. And the only way I could understand optics like gold was from my text book. To each his own but that is my opinion.

4. whiteshadodw

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    no. and often times, the review books are just review. if you have weak foundations, keep the textbook. but if you aced every test in every prereq, you can get rid of it.

if you want to just get a 30 and you did well in your prereqs, then i suppose the review books will still be sufficient. if you want a top score, keep your textbooks.

5. Melomare17

5+ Year Member

i think its safe to sell them, if you need to go over something you can always go on wikipedia or google the information. theres hundreds of sites from different colleges that help explain stuff.

6. BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach Company Rep & Bad Singer
    Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Good plan if what you need from a textbook is a reference on a subject. But what a textbook can provide that google etal can't provide is a boatload of applications of the concepts at your fingertips. Textbooks are way better than the internet for finding applications and passage possibilities.

Unless someone really needs the money badly, it would make more sense to hang on to their textbooks for an easy and quick reference on the rare times it's necessary. You can always sell your textbooks after you get your scores back.

And as for the OP's original question, review books give the basics, but there will be passages on your MCAT that will come from Mars. A good prep book will have more passages than review and it will mix different subjects together. A good prep book will have detailed answer explanations how to pick a right answer, eliminate wrong answers, and get through the question faster. That's where the prep book matters most, not in how much it covers. You have to be able to sift through crazy stuff like this:

• A spiralling sprinkler on the moon sprays a vaporizing liquid from a nozzel connected to a tank that gradually drains at a rate of 2.17 L/min as light from a faraway star passes through the mist with an index of refraction of 1.21. If an astronaut were to jump through the mist while tossing a ball at a 60-degree angle when facing due north, will the potential energy of the fluid in the tank drop by more than it would on Earth, if it has a density 1.03 g/mL on Tuesday mornings in Atlanta?