Is First Aid Organ Systems sufficient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparkledoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a number of review books, and I'm trying to decide which way to go. I don't really like First Aid, too succinct for me. But I do like First Aid Organ Systems, is it sufficient to use that as my main with the addition of Sketchy and Pathoma? Or is original First Aid REALLY necessary? Or on a completely different path, is Kaplan better than FA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First Aid is a reference guide. If I remember correctly, FA Organ System expands on FA, so keep it if it works for you.

So I have a number of review books, and I'm trying to decide which way to go. I don't really like First Aid, too succinct for me. But I do like First Aid Organ Systems, is it sufficient to use that as my main with the addition of Sketchy and Pathoma? Or is original First Aid REALLY necessary? Or on a completely different path, is Kaplan better than FA?
First Aid for the Basic Sciences has two volumes -- FABS: General Principles and FABS: Organ Systems. There's a newly released 3rd edition of both volumes.

Crush Step 1 attempts to do the same as the FABS series. I liked it. But make sure to get the errata.

Other publishers probably have similar things. I think Kaplan used to have a book called MedEssentials, but I'm not sure if that's still in print.

If you need "commentary" on FA, then look at these books and see which one works better for you.

Nothing is really "necessary," but most people recommend UFAP -- USMLE World, FA, and Pathoma +/- SketchyMicro.

Reactions: 1 users
The 1st and 2nd editions of these books had many errors and misspellings. I want to know if the newly released 3rd editions have similar errors. I guess we won't know until someone goes through it and posts. I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to do it myself!