is fourth year making you lose your edge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remedios

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i had my sub-i in the fall. today i was watching ER and missed all of the diagnoses. anyone else feel like the long rest is making them losing their edge?

Members don't see this ad.

remedios said:
i had my sub-i in the fall. today i was watching ER and missed all of the diagnoses. anyone else feel like the long rest is making them losing their edge?
My brain is definitely atrophying. I feel like I have forgotten everything I learned in last 3.5 yrs. :(

what isn't passively fading, I'm aggressively attacking with a chemotherapeutic agent called alcohol.

Members don't see this ad :)
remedios said:

I one word, "Hell Yes!!", oh maybe that was two words, same difference I am a fourth yr. <---that excuse is about to expire

Of course. Just yesterday, I told my spouse (an MD/PhD student who has yet to do clinical rotations) - I can't remember the basic science behind myasthenia gravis. Is it the antibody against the nicotinic Ach receptor? That's bad....I can't remember basic step 1 info anymore.

bubblegumbezoar said:
Of course. Just yesterday, I told my spouse (an MD/PhD student who has yet to do clinical rotations) - I can't remember the basic science behind myasthenia gravis. Is it the antibody against the nicotinic Ach receptor? That's bad....I can't remember basic step 1 info anymore.
I am happy if I remember who to consult. I think for myasthenia gravis, I would consult neuro...I think.

remedios said:
i was watching ER and missed all of the diagnoses.
Don't feel too bad. I think the writers used up all of the easy diagnoses in the first few seasons. It's a lot harder now. ;)

I'm doing a 2 week Pulm/CC elective right now which is my first clinical elective since November and I'm feeling slightly dumber than I did on my first day of 3rd year. It's pretty embarassing. The fact that my motivation is about zero isn't helping the situation either. And yes, I'm one of those people actively degrading my knowledge with beer.

BE

Keep drinking hard, watching lots of TV, and do nothing medicine oriented. You'll need it. It's a tough year. 3 more months of this internship crap ... but then I have fourth year coming up all over again, since my residency doesn't kick in until July 2007. Can't wait.

-S

you can take time off between your intern and pgy-2 year?

back on the er thing: i'm always amazed at how the average intern on ER is better than the average resident at <university hospital>....

I'm doing a month of ID now after not seeing a medicine patient since October. The first day my brain was creaky but the stuff came back amazingly quickly. I'm at maybe 85% by the end of the first week and that's with a light patient load (3 ward, 1 ICU). As an intern, I would expect to be back in shape by the end of the first call. :)

Mumpu said:
I'm doing a month of ID now after not seeing a medicine patient since October. The first day my brain was creaky but the stuff came back amazingly quickly. I'm at maybe 85% by the end of the first week and that's with a light patient load (3 ward, 1 ICU). As an intern, I would expect to be back in shape by the end of the first call. :)

Nice! I hope that will be the case in June for me. Meanwhile I'm going to volunteer clinics to keep up with a little outpatient stuff, at least!

Mumpu said:
LOL I just finished my ID rotation yesterday. It was the last day of any clinical rotations in medical school :sleep: And we'll end it with Capstone and Ill be done :idea:

Mumpu said:

Heh - I hope you're on my same service when we start in June! Between your clinical knowhow and my steadily growing playstation 2 and microbrew experience... :D

LOL, I don't know if you want to start with me -- I have a suspicion I may start in the ICU (home program, PD knows I did an ICU sub-I, etc.)

I do approve of the microbrew experience. :thumbup: Denver has a few good ones.

:D and I thought I was the only one....

I am finishing up my MPH month (sitting at a desk at the health department working on various no-patient-contact related projects).

Am doing a very light clinic rotation in April, but I already feel like I'm significantly dumbed-down. Looking very much forward to my trip to Jamaica in May right before graduation.... :D

I guess we have to enjoy now, for in July, we work. :laugh:

remedios said:
anyone else feel like the long rest is making them losing their edge?

What edge?

Half the **** they do on ER makes no sense anyway. Don't judge your competency based on that show, lol.

mysophobe said:
Half the **** they do on ER makes no sense anyway. Don't judge your competency based on that show, lol.

I don't know, I think ER actually has pretty good medicine, only with a superhuman pace. Gray's anatomy and House, on the other hand...

remedios said:
I don't know, I think ER actually has pretty good medicine, only with a superhuman pace. Gray's anatomy and House, on the other hand...

Don't even get me started on those two! :rolleyes:

It's funny because I enjoy watching ER most of the time, but some of the stuff that happens on that show cracks me up. I like when Maura Tierney (the nurse-turned-med student; I know her name cause she's in a few movies I like :p ) did the trache on that guy without anyone in the room but an ER tech. Oh, and when that one foreign doc tried to do the c-section on a lady in a trauma room even though she didn't want it. Oh, and when they do laparotomies in the ER, on the street, and in the ambulances like every other episode. :laugh:

mysophobe said:
Don't even get me started on those two! :rolleyes:

It's funny because I enjoy watching ER most of the time, but some of the stuff that happens on that show cracks me up. I like when Maura Tierney (the nurse-turned-med student; I know her name cause she's in a few movies I like :p ) did the trache on that guy without anyone in the room but an ER tech. Oh, and when that one foreign doc tried to do the c-section on a lady in a trauma room even though she didn't want it. Oh, and when they do laparotomies in the ER, on the street, and in the ambulances like every other episode. :laugh:

Hehe that's definitely true. The setting and caseload in ER is wildly inaccurate. But you got to admit there is something awsome about how the average intern on ER can see a patient and in 30 seconds rattle out a list of tests and differentials that, after you spent 3 minutes thinking about, is often right on... the medical advisors for the show do a pretty good job...