Is Genetics the hardest subject in General Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worfndata

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. If not, then what is?

Members don't see this ad.

It was my easiest... So far, Biochem, but honestly none of them are/were bad yet, I just didn't try.

:lol:No! Far from. I only showed up to class on test days, never studied, and had almost 100% in the class. The hardest for me, in order of most to least difficult, were Endocrinology (this was largely due to the prof. good guy though), second semester of Biochem, and prolly cell bio (I was still learning to study effectively at that point though).

Edit - Re-read the post, I believe you're asking about the class. I'd say the cell bio portion which, arguably as whole, includes genetics. However my perception is a bit skewed beings I was a horrible student with no study skills at that time, had a horrendous instructor (who had her teaching privileges revoked a few semesters later and now only functions as a god awful premed advisor), and struggled to get a C. Also, I took Bio I 6 years ago so my memory is a little hazy.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any branch of biology can be made difficult. This is highly variable and no one can ever give you a half useful answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Any branch of biology can be made difficult. This is highly variable and no one can ever give you a half useful answer.

Pretty much this for any class in general. It's all very variable between schools, profs., and the students themselves.

Last edited:
Really? I loved that stuff in Biochem and Endocrinology.
Memorizing every part of the receptors involved in cell signaling and the steps of all the cascades was just a pain. SH2 domains, GRB, RAF, etc. Like, I thinks it's really cool and everything, but I just hate bulk memorization and love conceptual stuff.

Thx all but I only meant the year of general bio. :)

Memorizing every part of the receptors involved in cell signaling and the steps of all the cascades was just a pain. SH2 domains, GRB, RAF, etc. Like, I thinks it's really cool and everything, but I just hate bulk memorization and love conceptual stuff.

Weird. Could be a difference in profs. and/or texts but to me after some minimal memorization everything for cell signaling and pathways was very conceptual and there was a ton of overlap in pathways. I'm kind of weird learner though so there's that too.

Done derailing thread.

If you make it far, then you will find out about organic chemistry. :heckyeah::boom:

Organic was easy for me. haha. I guess it's different for everyone. A lot of students seem to struggle through the material, though. Fascinating classes, in my opinion. Now, physical chemistry...is another story...but that's not a pre-req - I have to take it, though. Personally, I blew right through General Biology I and II. I didn't find genetics to be difficult at all. Genetics was my favorite part of the class, actually.

I thought Genetics was one of the easiest subjects of General Bio. When I took an actual Genetics course though, I ended up with the worst grade I made in college. That was largely a function of being an overconfident freshman, but it was tough nonetheless.

Kind of. I hated every minute of it, even basic concepts like DNA replication and that stuff.

Though, I love biochem.

Genetics is easy, the most math you have to do is in the Punnett Square. I thought molecular biology was hard and very similar to my medical school class but my teacher had a reputation for being tough.