Is getting a W worth it if you end up getting an A in that class in the long run

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking Physics at my university in an attempt to bring my C to an A with a notorious teacher known to make Physics the most undoable class at my college. After taking it the second time I realized I just cant learn physics with this teacher and decided I should just take it at a community college where I would actually learn and be able to make an A. Whats the limit to Ws you can get before getting a red flag to adcoms? I have one W for Ochem but that's because I decided to take it in the summer instead and ended up getting an A on it. Would it hurt to get a W on physics if I know I can get an A if I retake it else where?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. GPA trumps all. Just make sure the W is a blip on the radar, not the start of a trend.

Getting a C followed by a W for one course might raise an eyebrow.

Getting an A for the same class at a community college may cause people to question the difficulty of the CC.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if it will be basically me retaking it the third time? I took it once and got a C, this time in the summer but wont finish it and get a W, then again in summer 3 but with an A? I got As for Physics I Lab, Physics II Lec. & Lab..it's just this one dang class and teacher!

W followed by A is fine.

C followed by W followed by A... meh.

C followed by W followed by C... Bad times.

Getting a C followed by a W for one course might raise an eyebrow.

Getting an A for the same class at a community college may cause people to question the difficulty of the CC.

I agree with this.

W followed by A is fine.

C followed by W followed by A... meh.

C followed by W followed by C... Bad times.

Well... what do you mean by "meh". I got a C in biochem because I was burnt out by the time the final came around, even though I had the "easy" profs. Also I was/am trying to raise my gpa and without that C my gpa that quarter would have been beautiful. So I know I can get an A (or at LEAST a B) in the class, but I have to go through the W route first. Is it still not recommended?

Well... what do you mean by "meh". I got a C in biochem because I was burnt out by the time the final came around, even though I had the "easy" profs. Also I was/am trying to raise my gpa and without that C my gpa that quarter would have been beautiful. So I know I can get an A (or at LEAST a B) in the class, but I have to go through the W route first. Is it still not recommended?
It just looks weird. Why do you have to go the W route first? You're already retaking biochem and dropping it now, I assume? Why are you dropping it then? It's better to get an A the first time on a retake, instead of dropping. It is your second time around, after all.

I think C, W, A would look better than C, C, -, to be honest, if that was your intention. But still, unless your GPA needs work, I wouldn't use W's like get out of jail free cards...

It just looks weird. Why do you have to go the W route first? You're already retaking biochem and dropping it now, I assume? Why are you dropping it then? It's better to get an A the first time on a retake, instead of dropping. It is your second time around, after all.

At my school I'm not allowed to just retake a class with a grade of C- and higher. So the option is either to hope you do well or purposely fail so you can do well on your retake. Most annoying rule ever <_<
No, I haven't retaken it yet...