is getting accepted as impossible as people make it out to be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

Is getting accepted to any osteopathic or allopathic med school as impossible as people make it out to be or is it possible? Allopathic answer separately and osteopathic answer separately.

Members don't see this ad.

depends on how you spent your time in college

Reactions: 1 users
From either side... not impossible or there would be no doctors. Does it seem like more of a crapshoot than I had thought? Absolutely.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Allopathic: Its pretty damn hard especially with the rise of applicants. Honestly though I am a strong believer that the MCAT is the "limiting reactant" for the entire reaction to go to completion. Much much bigger crapshoot than Osteopathic Schools. Way more applicants, and the "low tier" MD schools all have MCAT scores/GPA matriculant averages at the same or slightly higher level as "top tier" DO schools. Edit: Also other people on here may not want to admit to it but your MCAT literally comprises about 80 percent of determining whether or not you have a shot between Harvard, or some random "low tier" MD. If you arent good at standardized testing, then dont expect too much from an allopathic cycle.

Osteopathic: These schools tend to be more forgiving so its not as hard, but its not super easy either. Still, they are much more forgiving of mistakes you might have made for your application. Still, you probably arent going to get into a DO school with a 3.0 and 25 MCAT. You also probably wont get in without some substantial form of clinical experience either. Its still not easy, but considerably easier to get in than an allopathic school. This is also probably due more to insanely large class sizes (270+) than "lax admissions standards".

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
It's not easy. You have to be dedicated; there is very little room to screw up, especially for MD schools. Financially the process is very burdening if you don't come from money. And it gets pretty demoralizing to see all your friends advance in their careers while you're in limbo - doubly so if you end up being a re-applicant.

Reactions: 5 users
Impossible? No.

Competitive? Yes.

It is highly competitive and success is not guaranteed.

I used to think getting into allopathic was impossible. I would look at the stats, I'd hear stories on SDN and in person, and I became incredibly intimidated.

I wasn't very confident in my grades: I had several C-'s on my transcript and I thought for sure that this would bar me from medical school.
But I worked hard, didn't give up, and eventually got accepted!

You (and anyone!) can do it! Don't let stories, rumors, and the statistics discourage you; if medicine is your passion, GO FOR IT! :)

Allopathic:
Yea, its pretty damned hard. The challenge is twofold in that you need to be academically successful (good GPA and MCAT) and also have great ECs/experiences that fit together to weave a coherent story. What gets so many people is that even if (and thats quite an if) the numbers all line up, you could still get rejected if your story isn't compelling enough. Then there's a huge role of luck in MD admissions thanks to mission driven schools and state schools. I (and many others) would probably have not been accepted anywhere if not for mission driven and state schools. People in states like Kentucky or West Virginia just need to be a resident and have an good shot at MD. Then there are superstars in California who get rejected despite an immaculate application.
TL;DR: Its really hard and luck is a huge factor

Osteopathic:
Challenging, but much more reasonable. They offer grade replacement, accept lower MCATS, and only a few have strong instate preferences. You still need a coherent app with no major red flags to have a good shot, and this is by no means an easy thing to accomplish. Also, you need to be able to answer additional questions for Osteo schools (Like why DO), which make it a bit tougher. Additionally, most Osteo schools are private, so they tend to be a little pricier (there are certainly some exceptions to this rule)

Caribbean:
If you have the ability to locate and utilize a checkbook effectively you are nearly guaranteed admission

Reactions: 8 users
Allopathic:
Yea, its pretty damned hard. The challenge is twofold in that you need to be academically successful (good GPA and MCAT) and also have great ECs/experiences that fit together to weave a coherent story. What gets so many people is that even if (and thats quite an if) the numbers all line up, you could still get rejected if your story isn't compelling enough. Then there's a huge role of luck in MD admissions thanks to mission driven schools and state schools. I (and many others) would probably have not been accepted anywhere if not for mission driven and state schools. People in states like Kentucky or West Virginia just need to be a resident and have an good shot at MD. Then there are superstars in California who get rejected despite an immaculate application.
TL;DR: Its really hard and luck is a huge factor

Osteopathic:
Challenging, but much more reasonable. They offer grade replacement, accept lower MCATS, and only a few have strong instate preferences. You still need a coherent app with no major red flags though to have a good shot, and this is by no means an easy thing to accomplish. Also, you need to be able to answer additional questions for Osteo schools (Like why DO), which make it a bit tougher. Additionally, most Osteo schools are private, so they tend to be a little pricier (there are certainly some exceptions to this rule)

Caribbean:
If you have the ability to locate and utilize a checkbook effectively you are nearly guaranteed admission

Yep pretty much. The bolded is something I forgot to mention which is important too. Allopathic admissions are much bigger crapshoot than osteopathic. You forgot a state though. Texas!

Reactions: 6 users
Osteopathic seems to be more susceptible to good branding to compensate for weaker stats in an application. Simply put, having the ability to give adcoms a strong "stereotype" of who you are as a person so they can get an idea of what kinds of people they're missing in the class they're building. Seems more non-trad friendly, so that it becomes kind of par for an applicant to have "strange" life experiences and higher maturity due to higher average age. Also requires the ability to articulate "why DO" in a personal manner, probably to gauge ability to reflect or think rather than to compare with MD. But the differences between the two seem minor, overall.

MD schools also give less weight to physician letters while most DO schools require them.

A counter-example to the idea of less education-intensive health careers being cool: Being Filipino, 60% or more of my church is nursing, med tech, dental assistant, etc. In spite of this, the health problems and terrible health advice I hear on a weekly basis shows me the effect of the lower education. One nurse with over 30 years of work experience in cardiorespiratory care recently got serious pneumonia and almost killed herself due to three days of trying to remove her respirator mask because "it was uncomfortable". But the tradeoff being in school limbo certainly sucks.

It's not easy. You have to be dedicated; there is very little room to screw up, especially for MD schools. Financially the process is very burdening if you don't come from money. And it gets pretty demoralizing to see all your friends advance in their careers while you're in limbo - doubly so if you end up being a re-applicant.

Allopathic: Its pretty damn hard especially with the rise of applicants. Honestly though I am a strong believer that the MCAT is the "limiting reactant" for the entire reaction to go to completion. Much much bigger crapshoot than Osteopathic Schools. Way more applicants, and the "low tier" MD schools all have MCAT scores/GPA matriculant averages at the same or slightly higher level as "top tier" DO schools.

Osteopathic: These schools tend to be more forgiving so its not as hard, but its not super easy either. Still, they are much more forgiving of mistakes you might have made for your application. Still, you probably arent going to get into a DO school with a 3.0 and 25 MCAT. You also probably wont get in without some substantial form of clinical experience either. Its still not easy, but considerably easier to get in than an allopathic school.

This is pretty accurate. Also true that if you have competitive stats you're far more likely to receive an interview at DO schools. In general though, while the applicant pool is weaker, the matriculant averages for DO are rapidly rising to MD levels and the days of 3.2/26 applicants getting into med school are basically over.

Reactions: 3 users
This is pretty accurate. Also true that if you have competitive stats you're far more likely to receive an interview at DO schools. In general though, while the applicant pool is weaker, the matriculant averages for DO are rapidly rising to MD levels and the days of 3.2/26 applicants getting into med school are basically over.

The bolded is very important for everyone who is applying to DO schools to note.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I would disagree, although they are certainly not going to the schools they used to, the new Do schools are still taking many lower metric applicants

I would disagree, although they are certainly not going to the schools they used to, the new Do schools are still taking many lower metric applicants

Yea some of the new DO schools (not going to name which ones here) are taking applicants with extremely low MCAT scores/GPAs. This is alarming. However, this is only like 2-3 DO schools though.

No, overall it's 40% for MD schools. Don't what the numbers are for DO schools, but I'm sure it's on the AOA or AACOM website. Naturally, this will get skewed by what state you live in, the strength of your app, the timing of your app submission, and the school you apply to.

Another rule of thumb: MD schools want high MCAT+ high GPA, while more DO schools will prefer one over the other. it's more of a gradation than a stricter cut-off for the MD schools.

MD median stats: 3.7 and 31 MCAT
DO median stats: ~ 3.3-3.4 and ~27 (but my notion is that it appears that these are rising at a faster rate than are for MD)

Is getting accepted to any osteopathic or allopathic med school as impossible as people make it out to be or is it possible? Allopathic answer separately and osteopathic answer separately.

Data for MD taken from AACOM.
I'm assuming this is also accounting for how the average MD applicant applies to at least 20 schools, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
No, overall it's 40% for MD schools. Don't what the numbers are for DO schools, but I'm sure it's on the AOA or AACOM website. Naturally, this will get skewed by what state you live in, the strength of your app, the timing of your app submission, and the school you apply to.
I'm assuming this is also accounting for how the average MD applicant applies to at least 20 schools, right?

I look at it as a simple checklist, although each point on the checklist is independently difficult to achieve. If you get all of them, you'll get in.

Reactions: 1 user

I think for-profit DO schools should raise their own red flags for obvious reasons. The established programs are becoming much, much more competitive. Some of them have higher matriculant averages than several low tier MD schools.

I look at it as a simple checklist, although each point on the checklist is independently difficult to achieve. If you get all of them, you'll get in.

The bolded is not true at all. That implies that there is a guarantee in admissions. There is no guarantee. There are many applicants with great applications that do not get in every year. Its a crapshoot for a reason.

I think for-profit DO schools should raise their own red flags for obvious reasons. The established programs are becoming much, much more competitive. Some of them have higher matriculant averages than several low tier MD schools.

While yes the DO average is skyrocketing, and places like CCOM, AZCOM, and Nova could give many MD schools a run for their money, this doesnt mean there arent some good, less competitive DOs. ACOM comes to mind. Great school with a good faculty and not sketchy for-profit motives. Just an newer school that is not super obsessed with metrics.

As someone who is currently in the cycle, yes, it's really bad and it's only going to get worse.

As another poster mentioned, demographics are very important. An applicant from Michigan and California each have very different experiences.
I have many friends with above average GPAs/MCATs that are getting pre-interview rejections from NYMC, Texas Tech, etc. It's honestly, a crap shoot. Go to the Harvard page here and you will see people with LizzyMs of 68,69,70 getting interview invites who are subsequently being rejected from their state schools. It's a crapshoot. More schools, I predict, will begin using the Casper system of testing ethics in order to add more level to the strainer and be even more selective of students.

Even for DO schools, the older schools have processes that are becoming just as competitive. Some schools are already very vocal and public about not interviewing anyone with a sub 30 MCAT irregardless of GPA (TouroNY, AZCOM, TouroCA etc.). PCOM and CCOM receive more applicants than most MD schools. I mentioned this in another thread but, I predict, in the next 5 years, most of the older DO schools will have "closed doors" at Christmas, where most of the class will be filled by January. Currently, if you are a competitive applicant, applying in December isn't considered late. The concept of DOs becoming a "backup option" won't exist in ~5 years, if not sooner, unless you want to go to the Virginias or Carolinas.

Finally, let's not forget to mention the MCAT, the new MCAT. It's become a killer test that's 7 hours long. The requirements have now included psychology, sociology, biochemistry, genetics, and physiology. This will squeeze out sooo many non-trads and older students, unfortunately, that would add soo much perspective and diversity to medical school classes. If you are an ESL student, like me, prepare for the worst, because this test has become almost insurmountable.

Reactions: 3 users
As someone who is currently in the cycle, yes, it's really bad and it's only going to get worse.

As another poster mentioned, demographics are very important. An applicant from Michigan and California each have very different experiences.
I have many friends with above average GPAs/MCATs that are getting pre-interview rejections from NYMC, Texas Tech, etc. It's honestly, a crap shoot. Go to the Harvard page here and you will see people with LizzyMs of 68,69,70 getting interview invites who are subsequently being rejected from their state schools. It's a crapshoot. More schools, I predict, will begin using the Casper system of testing ethics in order to add more level to the strainer and be even more selective of students.

Even for DO schools, the older schools have processes that are becoming just as competitive. Some schools are already very vocal and public about not interviewing anyone with a sub 30 MCAT irregardless of GPA (TouroNY, AZCOM, TouroCA etc.). PCOM and CCOM receive more applicants than most MD schools. I mentioned this in another thread but, I predict, in the next 5 years, most of the older DO schools will have "closed doors" at Christmas, where most of the class will be filled by January. Currently, if you are a competitive applicant, applying in December isn't considered late. The concept of DOs becoming a "backup option" won't exist in ~5 years, if not sooner, unless you want to go to the Virginias or Carolinas.

Finally, let's not forget to mention the MCAT, the new MCAT. It's become a killer test that's 7 hours long. The requirements have now included psychology, sociology, biochemistry, genetics, and physiology. This will squeeze out sooo many non-trads and older students, unfortunately, that would add soo much perspective and diversity to medical school classes. If you are an ESL student, like me, prepare for the worst, because this test has become almost insurmountable.

Yea, SDN likes to remain optimistic about the MCAT situation. That test almost ruined my life dreams and goals. Seriously.

Yea, SDN likes to remain optimistic about the MCAT situation. That test almost ruined my life. Seriously.
I didn't want to comment too much on it here but, yes, it has become a test where if you're wealthy enough to hire a tutor, you'll do fine irregardless of your aptitude or reasoning skills. Not to mention that it is now only offered in a few select months in the year and costs $300. Yes, $300.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't want to comment too much on it here but, yes, it has become a test where if you're wealthy enough to hire a tutor, you'll do fine irregardless of your aptitude or reasoning skills. Not to mention that it is now only offered in a few select months in the year and costs $300. Yes, $300.

You know I never did hire a tutor, but I'm not sure how much that would have helped me.

Another rule of thumb: MD schools want high MCAT+ high GPA, while more DO schools will prefer one over the other. it's more of a gradation than a stricter cut-off for the MD schools.

DO median stats: ~ 3.3-3.4 and ~27 (but my notion is that it appears that these are rising at a faster rate than are for MD)

For DO schools, there were 117,944 applicants for 6,192 medical school seats last year (so, about a 34.5% raw chance). Of course, this doesn't account for the applicants who also applied MD and got in.

I really, really doubt that.

Reactions: 8 users

Yea, I mean the people who are inherently good at Standardized tests will thrive in the application cycles just as they always have, and the people who are not good at standardized tests will struggle with the application cycle just as they always have.

Whats more, getting a 3.5+ from most colleges and universities is really, really not that difficult. Getting a 31 MCAT or higher? Good luck.

The reasoning behind why I said that was, in part, because most post-bac programs are now transitioning from 2 year programs to 3 year programs to cover the additional requirements. My own undergraduate school has already done so. I believe this will squeeze out older students who don't want to invest another 4 years to, potentially, get into medical school.

Goro, I have a question. Have you ever heard of or had anyone on an admission's committee decide they wanted to apply to medical school?

The bolded is not true at all. That implies that there is a guarantee in admissions. There is no guarantee. There are many applicants with great applications that do not get in every year. Its a crapshoot for a reason.

How many people do you really think do not get in assuming they had high GPA, high MCAT, plenty of clinical and volunteer experience, and apply to a broad range of appropriate schools? I think the only "crapshoot" part is that you have to be a decent writer and you have to be personable, which may not be quite learnable (especially the latter). You also have to genuinely want it and know what you are getting yourself into, but that isn't really based on chance alone either.

Allopathic: Its pretty damn hard especially with the rise of applicants. Honestly though I am a strong believer that the MCAT is the "limiting reactant" for the entire reaction to go to completion. Much much bigger crapshoot than Osteopathic Schools. Way more applicants, and the "low tier" MD schools all have MCAT scores/GPA matriculant averages at the same or slightly higher level as "top tier" DO schools. Edit: Also other people on here may not want to admit to it but your MCAT literally comprises about 80 percent of determining whether or not you have a shot between Harvard, or some random "low tier" MD. If you arent good at standardized testing, then dont expect too much from an allopathic cycle.

If MD schools are so keen in acquiring students with high GPA and high MCAT, why are applicants with a 3.9/39+ with strong ECs screened out and promptly rejected by lower-tier MD and possibly mid-tier MD schools? Why does the concept of "yield protection" exist for MD schools if they want high stats?

If MD schools are so keen in acquiring students with high GPA and high MCAT, why are applicants with a 3.9/39+ with strong ECs screened out and promptly rejected by lower-tier MD and possibly mid-tier MD schools? Why does the concept of "yield protection" exist for MD schools if they want high stats?

Because those schools know that those people will get into better schools and go to them. If anything this reinforces how much MD schools go after stats.

Reactions: 2 users

But will you do fine regardless of whether or not you use the word "irregardless"? :lame:

Reactions: 9 users
Even despite their essays clearly addressing the school's mission?

It may not always be totally fair, but if no one with 3.9/39 has matriculated to your school in like a decade, why waste resources on interviewing them?

Then most MD schools aren't hungry for high GPA and high MCAT. Simple as that.

I wish I could hook up with a supermodel, but I can't, so I go for the cute girl at the local bar.

How many people do you really think do not get in assuming they had high GPA, high MCAT, plenty of clinical and volunteer experience, and apply to a broad range of appropriate schools? I think the only "crapshoot" part is that you have to be a decent writer and you have to be personable, which may not be quite learnable (especially the latter). You also have to genuinely want it and know what you are getting yourself into, but that isn't really based on chance alone either.

High MCAT and High GPA do not qualify as "box checking" to me. An average MCAT of a 31 and average gpa of a 3.7, with cookie cutter pre-med application make me think "box checking". Of course people in the category of "high GPA, high MCAT, plenty of clinical and volunteer experience, and apply to a broad range of appropriate schools?" are probably in good shape. You just said "box checking" though. When I think 31 MCAT/3.7 those are average stats for MD matriculants. Thats not what I would consider "high GPA, high MCAT" by any means. Problem is just getting the 31 MCAT alone is pretty tough.

Because those schools know that those people will get into better schools and go to them. If anything this reinforces how much MD schools go after stats.

Chris Mack has answered your question the same way I would have @Lawper

I wish I could hook up with a supermodel, but I can't, so I go for the cute girl at the local bar.

Chris Mack has answered your question the same way I would have @Lawper

The idea is simple. Goro and Gandyy are emphasizing that having good stats is key to getting into MD schools. This means that applicants with strong stats will receive interviews at any MD school of interest assuming their essays adequately address their mission statement (why apply otherwise?). The concept of yield protection won't exist if the applicant is serious to apply there.

Since yield protection exists and since most MD schools do reject applicants with strong stats due to irrational fears of being rejected for something better, it is inaccurate to say that most MD schools are stat hungry. Save that for the top tiers and stat ***** schools.

The idea is simple. Goro and Gandyy are emphasizing that having good stats is key to getting into MD schools. This means that applicants with strong stats will receive interviews at any MD school of interest assuming their essays adequately address their mission statement (why apply otherwise?). The concept of yield protection won't exist if the applicant is serious to apply there.

Since yield protection exists and since most MD schools do reject applicants with strong stats due to irrational fears of being rejected for something better, it is inaccurate to say that most MD schools are stat hungry. Save that for the top tiers and stat ***** schools.

No thats not all we are saying. Its more than that. It takes years of effort to get even the "average matriculant MD" application. I'm talking about even getting an "average matriculant MD" application together is very tough. A 31 MCAT is not what I would consider "high". It is a good MCAT score that is tough to attain for most people. You cant just have good stats. You need everything else as well, and a good story/reason for wanting to go into medicine. Just like I said above, MCAT is the limiting reagent for most people.

GPA building is too variable and often very easy to build compared to the MCAT. Exams given by the most university professors are just not as hard as the MCAT. Most pre-med pre req exams require regurgitation and some critical thinking. The MCAT is a behemoth of a test compared to most University exams. Many college pre-meds are not used to this kind of test.

I realize that some 39/3.9 type applicants do not get into medical school. Those applicants have some other glaring issues on their application, and are a very small minority of the high stat applicants.

Come try Canadian MD school applications :)

No thats not at all what we are saying. It takes years of effort to get even the "average matriculant MD" application. I'm talking about even getting an "average matriculant MD" application together is very tough. A 31 MCAT is not what I would consider "high". It is a good MCAT score that is tough to attain for most people. You cant just have good stats. You need everything else as well, and a good story/reason for wanting to go into medicine. Just like I said above, MCAT is the limiting reagent for most people.

GPA building is too variable and often very easy to build compared to the MCAT. Exams given by the most university professors are just not as hard as the MCAT. Most pre-med pre req exams require regurgitation and some critical thinking. The MCAT is a behemoth of a test compared to most University exams. Many college pre-meds are not used to this kind of test.

I understand all that, and I know it is difficult to get into MD school. No one is denying that. However, it is wrong to say that most MD schools are stat hungry when yield protection applies. And this is a serious problem for those stuck with an average/low GPA with very high MCAT scores no matter how small this group is.

I actually strongly disagree. I don't think that hiring a tutor or taking a class are at all necessary, and I took the new MCAT. I might be one of the minority that felt that the new test was overall better: less regurgitation of info and more primary literature analysis. More akin to what I did in my undergrad classes. Yes, it was hard and long, and being a few years out of undergrad, studying was a pain. But I honestly think the only thing that is really a huge factor in who can apply to med school and get in is not the MCAT or GPA, but the cost. I saved for years and I'm still broke after that cycle.

I understand all that, and I know it is difficult to get into MD school. No one is denying that. However, it is wrong to say that most MD schools are stat hungry when yield protection applies. And this is a serious problem for those stuck in an average/low GPA with very high MCAT scores no matter how small this group is.

Ok, but one of the other major underlying points in all of my posts here is that MD schools are much more "stat hungry" than osteopathic schools. There is no denying that. OP asked about distinctions between both as well. I understand what you are saying about yield protection.

I've heard about the terrors of Canadian Medical school admissions. No thank you. :)
Guy I work with graduated with a 4.0 from Harvard, no interviews all across Canada.
How do I get a green card people?

Ok, but one of the other major undlerying points in all of my posts here is that MD schools are much more "stat hungry" than osteopathic schools. There is no denying that. I understand what you are saying about yield protection.

I wouldn't say it's much more stat hungry, but having stricter standards. Even then, I'm still frustrated with the rationale of the lower tier MD schools. They screen out applicants who aren't "good enough" for them (which is elitist in a way) and reject applicants who are "too good for them". Those stuck with a low GPA/high MCAT are effectively screwed either way, and it is upsetting.

Guy I work with graduated with a 4.0 from Harvard, no interviews all across Canada.
How do I get a green card people?

That could be due to international limitations though just like its harder for a Canadian to gain admission to US schools.

I wouldn't say it's much more stat hungry, but having more stricter standards. Even then, I'm still frustrated with the rationale of the lower tier MD schools. They screen out applicants who aren't "good enough" for them (which is elitist in a way) and reject applicants who are "too good for them". Those stuck with a low GPA/high MCAT are effectively screwed either way, and it is upsetting.

Isnt the bolded the same thing in this case? haha.