Is getting accepted guaranteeing you to become a Dentist?

dds2013

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on SDN, I have however been reading the discussions and the great advice given from upperclassmen for quite a while.

One thing that I have not found much discussion on in SDN is whether entering a dental school is guaranteeing you a spot to become a dentist.

Some of my pre-dent friends say absolutely, and some say not necessarily. I know that d-schools are not going to spoon feed anyone at all. But, what if we put the hard-working aspect, board exams, and costs on the side, and discuss the other variables.

I know a student who attends NYU dental school. That person told me that the freshmen class (c/o 2011) started with 297 (I forget the exact number, but it was between 290-300) students in August 2007, and that the class is currently below 250 students! That’s like a 15% decrease of class size, which can be substantial like at a state school that has an avg class size of 60-90 students (which is how most are structured).

My questions are:
Why do you think that so many students quit?
Is it normal to fear of not completing d-school after you get in?
Are there other d-schools in which the number of students who quit is this high, or is the % this high b/c NYU is the largest d-school?

Thank you in advance to all the people who are going to give feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

ummjoey

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
i think........i dont know if this is true, but it is what i think..........

some people get into dentistry for the wrong reasons. a lot of predents i have talked with say the reasons they want to be dentists are because of good income and flexible hours. i dont think those 2 reasons alone are enough to motivate/push you through dental school. like you said dental school isnt exactly a walk in the park. when you are getting 4-5 hours of sleep everything, you would want enough motivation to wake up the next day. i just dont think income and flexible hours would cut it for me.

i think as long as you have the correct motivation, then there shouldnt be any fear of not completeing dental school.

loved

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
1. dental school, from what i hear, is tough. if you read the posts by alumni, and not pre-dents, you'll see what I mean. it sounds like a terrible form of boot camp.
2. I don't think its a normal fear. why would you apply if you didn't feel confident in yourself? applying already costs you a bunch of money and effort. maybe if you breezed through everything in applying, you might.. but then it would be a good fear it b/c it will force you to evaluate your decision before entering dental school.
3. I don't know how it compares with other schools. the topic came up quite frequently when I interviewed at NYU. they assured us that people only quit b/c they do not do the necessary work. after meeting the students there, I believe it. NYU students definitely work around the clock.

I agree with ummjoey. correct motivation leads to confidence.

About the Ads

jigabodo

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Louisville, KY
Status
Dentist
The average graduation rate for most dental school is around 90% or higher. There is a thread in the dental forum and you might want to do a search and look into that.

As of the workload, I really doubt you will be getting 4-5 hours of sleep every night as long as you don't procrastinate until the very end.

jay47

Think Positively!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Status
Dentist
The average graduation rate for most dental school is around 90% or higher. There is a thread in the dental forum and you might want to do a search and look into that.

As of the workload, I really doubt you will be getting 4-5 hours of sleep every night as long as you don't procrastinate until the very end.

I don't know man, I have toured all three dental schools here in Texas and talked with lots of students who are in there right now, 1st through 4th year and it seems as if they have quite a few nights with 4-5 hours of sleep. I mean, when you go to class from 8-5 everyday, and then you have to go home and study some more, you stay pretty busy. If you did nothing else in your life you could probably manage to get normal sleep patterns, but as for the rest of us, we will probably sacrifice in sleep.

firecracked

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
I don't know if I believe the "correct motivation" stuff. I don't think anyone else can tell you what is and what isn't the correct motivation. As long as you have something that can push YOU and get YOU through it, it doesn't matter what it is. Being able to pick a career based on your interests and you passions and having a legitimate chance of being successful at it is a relatively new concept, in my opinion, and still doesn't exist in the vast majority of the world. But the lack of that opportunity doesn't prevent other people from being successful and it's not any easier for them than it is for us.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on SDN, I have however been reading the discussions and the great advice given from upperclassmen for quite a while.

One thing that I have not found much discussion on in SDN is whether entering a dental school is guaranteeing you a spot to become a dentist.

Some of my pre-dent friends say absolutely, and some say not necessarily. I know that d-schools are not going to spoon feed anyone at all. But, what if we put the hard-working aspect, board exams, and costs on the side, and discuss the other variables.

I know a student who attends NYU dental school. That person told me that the freshmen class (c/o 2011) started with 297 (I forget the exact number, but it was between 290-300) students in August 2007, and that the class is currently below 250 students! That’s like a 15% decrease of class size, which can be substantial like at a state school that has an avg class size of 60-90 students (which is how most are structured).

My questions are:
Why do you think that so many students quit?
Is it normal to fear of not completing d-school after you get in?
Are there other d-schools in which the number of students who quit is this high, or is the % this high b/c NYU is the largest d-school?

Thank you in advance to all the people who are going to give feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
Wow, those numbers surprise me, IMO if you get accepted then the rest is easy.
If you have any sort of a desire (and I mean the slightest desire) then you will succeed through dental school and will become a dentist.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

tamkhan

Kala Budha
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
SDN
Status
Dentist
NYU is competitive, simply because of the # of students. People drop out, either because they get sick and tired of all the commotion, or because dentistry just isn't their cup of tea.

Dental school will be tough, undoubtedly. Once you're out, life is a lot better.

airsimon

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Status
Dental Student
I don't know man, I have toured all three dental schools here in Texas and talked with lots of students who are in there right now, 1st through 4th year and it seems as if they have quite a few nights with 4-5 hours of sleep. I mean, when you go to class from 8-5 everyday, and then you have to go home and study some more, you stay pretty busy. If you did nothing else in your life you could probably manage to get normal sleep patterns, but as for the rest of us, we will probably sacrifice in sleep.
What I've heard from D3's is that if you want to specialize, you're going to work your butt off. If you want to just pass and become a general dentist, it's about the same difficulty of undergrad, only with more time put in.

Streetwolf

Ultra Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2006
NJ
Status
Dentist
Most schools might lose 1 or 2 people tops, or not even. NYU seems to drop a bunch so I wouldn't look at them to see what goes on in other schools.

People might leave on their own if they decide this isn't the right career for them, or they might leave because they can't keep their grades / clinical performance up.

Dental schools want every single person in every single class to graduate. There is no reason why they would try to kick anyone out (again don't look at NYU cause we've all heard things).

And you get 4-5 hrs of sleep if you suck at studying. But I wouldn't go and say you get 8 hrs every night either.

Moni Ahmadian

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Dentist
I do believe having gone through the difficulties and troubles of getting into a dental school, everybody will try to complete it even though it is very difficult to complete the dental education like many other medical fields.:)

About the Ads

montag925

10+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2006
New Jersey
Status
Dental Student
Well if you are asking these questions this early in the game then my recommendation is dentistry just isn't for you. I'm sorry, but no one should be personally naive about reasons to be a dentist. Money is not everything. :(

jigabodo

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Louisville, KY
Status
Dentist
Most schools might lose 1 or 2 people tops, or not even. NYU seems to drop a bunch so I wouldn't look at them to see what goes on in other schools.

People might leave on their own if they decide this isn't the right career for them, or they might leave because they can't keep their grades / clinical performance up.

Dental schools want every single person in every single class to graduate. There is no reason why they would try to kick anyone out (again don't look at NYU cause we've all heard things).

And you get 4-5 hrs of sleep if you suck at studying. But I wouldn't go and say you get 8 hrs every night either.
I guess that's pretty considerate of Louisville that they start early (and end late) so that classes are more spread out for their stuents.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Akron, OH
Status
Dentist
Off topic a bit, but I'm willing to wager it is more common for people to stay in dental school even if they lose interest because of the debt factor.

NSDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Dentist
I graduated from NYU (mind you it's been a few years), but it is definitely true that a lot of students drop/fail out. We started out with something like 225 and about 170 graduated. But I will preface this with the fact that most of the students who left did so voluntarily, or were simply not putting the work required to graduate. If you stay on top of things, stay organized, follow the coursework and don't fall behind, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't graduate. Definitely no cake walk, but it is plausible. They accept you guys for a reason, and more likely than not, it's because you are capable of becoming a dentist.

KinKs

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status
Dentist
Off topic a bit, but I'm willing to wager it is more common for people to stay in dental school even if they lose interest because of the debt factor.
damn right, no way in hell I am dropping out. those student loans still have to get paid.

also I am quite skeptical as to how difficult dental school is. When I was in 7th grade they said 9th grade would be a killer. When I got to 11th grade they said you will never survive in University. I will get my degree this year and now everyone is saying how hard dental school is. Look, I am not expecting a walkover but gees -how hard can it be.

TempleDMDKrazd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2008
Status
Dental Student
damn right, no way in hell I am dropping out. those student loans still have to get paid.

also I am quite skeptical as to how difficult dental school is. When I was in 7th grade they said 9th grade would be a killer. When I got to 11th grade they said you will never survive in University. I will get my degree this year and now everyone is saying how hard dental school is. Look, I am not expecting a walkover but gees -how hard can it be.
it is hard.....

for example....you never work out before in your whole life...and now you go to the gym and try to bench press 200lbs....can you do it...absolutely not!

now if you worked out your whole life....little by little you will see small improvements....and it will add up tremendously.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Akron, OH
Status
Dentist
I graduated from NYU (mind you it's been a few years), but it is definitely true that a lot of students drop/fail out. We started out with something like 225 and about 170 graduated. But I will preface this with the fact that most of the students who left did so voluntarily, or were simply not putting the work required to graduate. If you stay on top of things, stay organized, follow the coursework and don't fall behind, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't graduate. Definitely no cake walk, but it is plausible. They accept you guys for a reason, and more likely than not, it's because you are capable of becoming a dentist.
Yeah. VCU only accepts 90, but they graduate NEAR 100%. Seems there are usually 1-2 that drop for one reason or another MAX. It is near the same amount that pass their boards first time around. Dental schools WANT you to graduate.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
Akron, OH
Status
Dentist

I agree with Temple that dental school IS hard! This is honestly the hardest thing I have tried to accomplish in life so far. At least at VCU, courses are like undergrad upper level probably, but you have NO TIME. You are in class from 8-5 (esp 2nd semester) and take all of this in the same semester = 40 credits (histology, physiology, microbiology, pathology, periodontology, clinical skills, operative lab and operative lecture, literature review)... it is like a marathon. You NEVER stop working, never stop studying and just when one thing ends, another cycle of it starts up. It is quite stressful, to be honest, and I'm generally not super easily stressed out. Lets define it as this "study, sleep deprivation, stress"... just don't add smoking or scotch to those S's and you will make it through, but be prepared, if your school is anything like VCU it will likely be more difficult than any academics you have ever experienced. It's a time issue and there just isn't enough of it!

About the Ads