Is giving birth a legitimate reason to defer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToAnotherPlace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am due with my first child in the beginning of May, and the medical school I was accepted to starts classes in July. I was wondering if anyone knows someone who was able to defer for a year because of a newborn, or if you think it could be classified as an "extenuating circumstance?"

I already looked up my school's policies on deferment... it said they might be granted under extenuating circumstances.

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I am due with my first child in the beginning of May, and the medical school I was accepted to starts classes in July. I was wondering if anyone knows someone who was able to defer for a year because of a newborn, or if you think it could be classified as an "extenuating circumstance?"

I already looked up my school's policies on deferment... it said they might be granted under extenuating circumstances.

TIA

Only your school could answer this.

If you can't manage to birth your child between biochem and A&P, maybe you don't have what it takes to be a med student. ;)

More importantly - congratulations! Of course that is a reason to defer. It will also give you a chance to get used to being a mom, and very importantly - to set up the much needed resources that you will need in order to have success in med school. I had my son during my first year of post-bacc, so if I can be of any assistance to you, please feel free to PM me.

And congratulations again! :love:

P.S. Due to some of the chemicals used in various labs (e.g. A&P), there is a chance that you might not be allowed to participate in certain labs during various trimesters during your pregnancy. I would check on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thinking about it for another second, they would also be unlikely to do this due to legal reasons, such as gender discrimination.

If you can't manage to birth your child between biochem and A&P, maybe you don't have what it takes to be a med student. ;)

More importantly - congratulations! Of course that is a reason to defer. It will also give you a chance to get used to being a mom, and very importantly - to set up the much needed resources that you will need in order to have success in med school. I had my son during my first year of post-bacc, so if I can be of any assistance to you, please feel free to PM me.

And congratulations again! :love:

P.S. Due to some of the chemicals used in various labs (e.g. A&P), there is a chance that you might not be allowed to participate in certain labs during various trimesters during your pregnancy. I would check on this.

Thank you :D I would be giving birth about a month before school starts, so lab safety isn't really an issue... but I'm more concerned with being there for her during her first year of life. Also I'm not exactly thrilled by the idea of classes and homework and constantly waking up throughout the night. To make things a bit more interesting, I'm also a single mom. I just really hope they grant me a deferment because otherwise I'll be a train wreck that first year lol

Do you have any idea how I should word the request?

I have no idea regarding the answer to your question, but congratulations on your new baby! Hope he/she is happy and healthy!

i would straight up contact the dean of admissions at your school and see how they would feel about this request. i'm inclined to think that it would be granted, but that of course is school specific. i really can't see them saying no, though.

congrats and good luck. medical school is certainly very doable, whether you defer or not.

TIA

Firstly, congratulations!

Secondly, while you'll have to check with your school, I have heard of women using a baby as a reason to defer and having it being granted (anecdotally, on places like SDN and mommd.com). But my question is are you sure you want to? IMO, infants are needy, but in many ways easier than a toddler. A newborn will want to be held (or worn), or nurse/have a bottle, or sleep, but that's mostly it. A toddler will want you to drop everything you're doing (like studying) to color, read, play with blocks, etc.

Really, you are going to have as much time off home with the baby before school starts as many working moms (not everyone is really able to take all 12 weeks that FMLA promises), though if you aren't already on the waitlist for a daycare, if you need one, I think you would definitely need to defer. I had my daughter a week after finals halfway through my last two, 2-semester pre-req courses and went back to class when she was 3 weeks old. I studied for the MCAT when she was 13-16 months old, so I'm speaking from experience. If this was my first baby, I might feel different, but I would much rather start and adjust to medical school with a 2-3 month old than a 14-15 month old.

I'm also due with mine and my husband's second baby about 2 months into school. I'm hoping (and praying) that having a playmate will allow me less interrupted study time in the future. :cool:

Yeah but she's due two months before class starts. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure that it is. With that said though, we have numerous women in my class who are new mothers, and they seem to be doing very well with it. Two of them gave birth during the school year, and didn't miss a single test.

Firstly, congratulations on your baby and getting into med school!

I understand not wanting to miss anything during the precious first year. I'm the same way, and they don't call it "just one year" for nothing! That being said, it is fairly infant specific on how needy a child is. For example, my first was needy. My other two are/were not as needy. Things do sometimes become more difficult in the toddler years. The first year might just be a breeze compared with the rest.

I would definitely call the school.

The aforementioned forum is a great place for mothers to discuss the challenges that are faced being a parent and getting into/going to med school. Also, a great blog to keep your eyes on is: http://www.mothersinmedicine.com/

TIA

If giving birth is not a valid reason I don't know what is. Decapitation?

A good student would give birth in the middle of class. Shame on you.

Firstly, congratulations!

Secondly, while you'll have to check with your school, I have heard of women using a baby as a reason to defer and having it being granted (anecdotally, on places like SDN and mommd.com). But my question is are you sure you want to? IMO, infants are needy, but in many ways easier than a toddler. A newborn will want to be held (or worn), or nurse/have a bottle, or sleep, but that's mostly it. A toddler will want you to drop everything you're doing (like studying) to color, read, play with blocks, etc.

Really, you are going to have as much time off home with the baby before school starts as many working moms (not everyone is really able to take all 12 weeks that FMLA promises), though if you aren't already on the waitlist for a daycare, if you need one, I think you would definitely need to defer. I had my daughter a week after finals halfway through my last two, 2-semester pre-req courses and went back to class when she was 3 weeks old. I studied for the MCAT when she was 13-16 months old, so I'm speaking from experience. If this was my first baby, I might feel different, but I would much rather start and adjust to medical school with a 2-3 month old than a 14-15 month old.

I'm also due with mine and my husband's second baby about 2 months into school. I'm hoping (and praying) that having a playmate will allow me less interrupted study time in the future. :cool:

Thanks everyone! I feel a lot more confident now that my school will grant the deferral.

I have weighed the pros and cons for starting the school year with a newborn versus a toddler, and in my situation, there are definitely more good reasons to defer the first year. But I do appreciate your input. It helps to hear other moms' experiences.

I definitely am not on a waitlist yet for government assisted daycare because you have to provide your child's social and birth date... neither of which exist yet!

Congrats on your second! I applaud you for taking the leap with a newborn!

Last edited: