Is Goljan/ RR Pathology really high yield?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilPhysician

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dilemma: Goljan Pathology (603 Pages) vs. Pathoma book (208 Pages)...400 page difference!!!:eek:

I'm planning on trying to go over a certain number of sources several times (sorta like Taus) to know "cold" for Step I.

At the same time, I learn by doing lots of questions so I need a practical strategy where I'm not revising really low-yield info.

I prefer Pathoma because its an easier read and 400 pages shorter.

Just wondering if RR Pathology can be used as a reference for class or if every sentence in it is high yield/ gotta know cold. Peace. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I did very well and Goljan RR was a huge part of it. I should preface this by saying unless you have a great knowledge base RR is kinda useless. RR has a great mix of high yield knowledge, integrative knowledge and low yield facts that are very likely to be on the exam. I saw at least 10 qs I wouldn't have gotten right if it weren't for obscure facts in Goljan.

RR + Goljan + FA + learning your stuff first year=success

Look at it this way.. First Aid is the high yield stuff. RR Path is more of a supplement/reference. If you can manage to learn a good majority of the stuff in RR Path along with all of FA, you'll be set.

For me, FA + RR + UWorld + NBME assessments = 250.

Short answer: no.

Use them to clarify things that are confusing in FA, but not as study material. Maybe listen to Goljan when you are unable to study FA (while jogging, etc). I got a 244 on Step 1, but have talked to live human beings who have scored in the 270s and stuck to FA+UW. It is better to have one high-yield resource down cold than trying to memorize shiny books with color pictures.

In sum: FA+UW, FA+UW, FA+UW, repeat as needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
short answer: No.

Use them to clarify things that are confusing in fa, but not as study material. Maybe listen to goljan when you are unable to study fa (while jogging, etc). I got a 244 on step 1, but have talked to live human beings who have scored in the 270s and stuck to fa+uw. it is better to have one high-yield resource down cold than trying to memorize shiny books with color pictures.

In sum: Fa+uw, fa+uw, fa+uw, repeat as needed.

great advice!!!!

To answer the question about high yield. Yes, Dr. Goljan's RR Pathology is high yield for step I of the boards. How do I know? Well, I'm doing a summer internship in between first and second year. I have talked to a plethora of residents who tell me the same story: memorize FA and know the random facts in RR Pathology for a comprehensive review for step I. These aren't advisors, med students, or doctors--they are residents who are 2 or 3 years out of medical school who STILL remember what they studied with in order to pass, or ace the boards. Caveat: everyone is different--HY Path, or Robbins Path, or just FA may be enough for some people. However, no one can argue with me when I say that the images in RR Path are very high yield and if you know path cold, RR Path is a great bullet point review of the systems. Hope this helps you