Is GPA of 4.0 an A or A+?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UBCvan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i'm from a Canadian university that has a different scale...
a GPA of 4.00 means u've got all A's
and a GPA of 4.33 means u've got all A+'s

so my question is that i've seen many people from US with GPA's of 4....so does this mean they've got all A+'s or A's?

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, and I think at most schools, an A+ isn't a possible grade; A is a 4.0, and is the highest grade possible.

In the UC system it is a possible grade, but the guidlines for how to obtain one vary. Some teachers dont offer it and those that do usually award it to the top1-3 people in the class depending on the class size. It still counts as a 4.0, just like an A does.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

so my question is that i've seen many people from US with GPA's of 4....so does this mean they've got all A+'s or A's?

One of my schools awarded A+'s at 4.00, the others didn't give out A+s.

thanks for replies...

Hi,

yea it depends on the school. i think most schools equate A+ with A so that its a 4.0, but some schools make an A+ a 4.33 or 4.25, etc.
however, when you apply to med schools, your A+'s will count as 4.0 when calculating your gpa

yea it depends on the school. i think most schools equate A+ with A so that its a 4.0, but some schools make an A+ a 4.33 or 4.25, etc.
however, when you apply to med schools, your A+'s will count as 4.0 when calculating your gpa

ridiculous how A- makes you lose points but A+ = :)

I'm pretty sure AMCAS calculates your GPA ignoring A+'s

Quick question though, do med school applications at least see that you got an A+ even if they do not factor it into the GPA or does it just show up as an A regardless?

It shows up on your AMCAS transcript, though it counts as a 4.0.

My A+ was changed to an A on my AMCAS application last year; and it was a 4.0.

it sucks...an A+ is more than an A and yet it's not..

so when i calculate my GPA for medical schools i have to consider A+ as A but when calculating it for my own school, where i'm getting my degree, i should consider A+ as A+?