1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

is grad school as bad as they say??

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by daryts09, Nov 16, 2005.

1. daryts09

daryts09 Junior Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hey guys, I'm a new member of this site -- I'm a pre-optometry student and I work in a vision center. The dr I work w/ says optometry school was the hardest most difficult thing she's ever had to do and would never go back! She really scared me with this and I wanted to know if any of you out there know exactly what grad school is like?? I applied to NOVA, chicago, St. Louis, and Tennessee -- Is it really as bad as they say? Is it that hard that you shouldn't work/have a life outside of it? Is it worth it?? What's it like compared to your undergrad?? I'm scared!! :eek: PLUS I only have a 3.0 -- Is it worth it to give it a try? Feed back would be great!!

Thanks !!!

Tara :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vtrain

vtrain Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This question really depends on how academically gifted you are but for the average student, optometry school is not that hard. However, it probably tests your endurance more than anything else. You cannot cram the information into a weekend like you may have been able to in your undergrad courses - there is simply too much information. Study every night, take your weekends off, basically keep up with your work and you should be fine. If you are accepted into opto school, that means you have the academic qualifications to complete it. Besides, 'C' does really equal 'OD' in optometry school. You don't have to excel in your classes because grades mean very little, above and beyond you passing and maybe for some tougher residencies out there. My advice is learn how to be a ppl person and how to talk with your patients. If your Dr. will allow you to pre-screen the patients, that would be an excellent start. A personable optometrist will be light years ahead of the optometrist with no social skills and the 4.0 GPA. Also, start to learn how a practice runs and note the insurance plans, billing procedures, inventory, etc. As a student you can ask a million questions about a practice and the Dr. wont mind, however once you get that OD behind your name and become their potential competition, things will drastically change. Bottom line is don't sweat it. If you get accepted, and are diligent in your studies, you will pass and become an OD. Good luck.

4. 4Eyes

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I think it's definitely worth it to give it a try. Especially with a solid OAT score. And your work experience will go a LONG way.

To be honest, I think optometry school is hard. Not impossible by any means, but tiring because it is very time consuming. I probably make it worse on myself than necessary though because I still freak out about a C. I really need to change that because vtrain is right in that grades don't really matter so much in optometry school. Pass your classes, pass your boards, and focus on becoming a knowledgeable, skilled, personable clinician.

If optometry is what you're passionate about, don't let one doctor scare you out of it. I think it will all be VERY rewarding once I'm out of school. :)

If you have any questions about UMSL in particular, I'm a 2nd year there...feel free to PM me. :)

5. daryts09

daryts09 Junior Member

Pre-Optometry
    Thank you guys so so much for the feedback!! I am surprised to hear that grades don't matter so much when you get to optometry school. Why is that?? Are there regular exams like in your undergrad? You guys totally made my day -- I don't know any other ppl who are going for what I'm going for.. and I am a people person so I'm pretty confident as far as that goes!! :) anyways, thanx again!!!

Tara :)

6. vtrain

vtrain Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Trust me, no one cares about your grades, only if you passed your boards or not. Why this is, is probably b/c most hiring optometrist realize that grades don't correlate very well with the type of clinician you'll become (some would argue this point - feel free to do so). A personable optometrist = good business and personality doesn't really have much bearing on your GPA and vice versa. Keep in mind though, if you want a residency, grades do matter, so take my advice accordingly.

7. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I agree with what has been said so far. Once you get in, grades are not the only thing in your life anymore. Of course you need to try your best and try to get great grades, but if you blow a test here and there, it is not the end of the world. You are now at your final stage of education (unless you are looking at a residence), so as long as your GPA keeps you at "good academic standing," you are golded.

Although ODs school is tough, it flys by! I can't believe I am a third year in the winter quarter, I still feel like a 1 st year. I think back to 1st year when I would see those amazing 3rd years walking into clinic with their carts and white coats and think, "That is so far away." Well guess what, it pops up faster than you can imagine. We are starting to get info on graduation stuff. We just got an academic calander that has our graduation date on it...holy crap!

Basically, no matter how hard OD or any prof. school is, it will be over before you blink. You can get through it.

8. vtrain

vtrain Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Good advice, rpames. Yes, the time FLIES by in optometry school. You'll be done before you know it.