Is GW Really Considered A Back-Up School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bqj

bqj
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read on some thread that it was. I loved the school and have only heard good things about it (besides the $$$). And I heard its competitiveness and reputation are rising.

Members don't see this ad.

bqj said:
I read on some thread that it was. I loved the school and have only heard good things about it (besides the $$$). And I heard its competitiveness and reputation are rising.

No med schools are back ups -- they are all competing for great candidates and all seem to be getting 80-100 applicants for each seat. But I suppose if you have the kind of numbers that should get you an interview with eg. Harvard or Hopkins, you could look at GW as a place where you should be quite competitive.

This is such a ridiculous question. A back-up school is a very subjective term. There are some people that would give a limb to get in to GW.

Members don't see this ad :)
VPDcurt said:
This is such a ridiculous question. A back-up school is a very subjective term. There are some people that would give a limb to get in to GW.

Relax curt, I'm just trying to understand why some people said it was.

I'm not bothered by it personally. I just think it is mind boggling that someone would ask such a question.

bqj said:

yes

GW is a very good school -- excellent facilities, great curriculum, amazing technology, and located in a diverse city filled with opportunities. I liked it a lot. And it IS well-respected nationally. Doctors I work with and their "doctor friends" speak highly of it.

bqj said:

Is there any such thing as a back-up MD? No! That should answer your question. Are some schools better at different things? Yes. Does that really matter in receiving the MD? No. Don't worry about it. If you like GWU go there--do well on your boards--and do what you want in medicine. GWU will not limit your future at all.