Is Habitat For Humanity considered "underserved"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

$haBoy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start volunteering with H4H this fall, and am unsure if it counts as "underserved" or if I should find something else to volunteer at/with in addition to H4H so I still get that "underserved" experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. 100%. Look up their mission statement, they literally build houses in underserved communities.

Maybe you're heart is in the right place but you should volunteer because you want to. Saying "so I get the underserved experience" just sounds like you're doing it to check off a box and show what adcoms want to see.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you're heart is in the right place but you should volunteer because you want to. Saying "so I get the underserved experience" just sounds like you're doing it to check off a box and show what adcoms want to see.

lol the unfortunate reality is that 99% of premeds do it for that reason anyway

Reactions: 1 users

Well the good thing is that it's easy to spot. A bunch of short stints at volunteer experiences that reads like a check list. The thing is that you don't have to volunteer with an underserved community. You can just volunteer anywhere as long as it shows commitment.

Well the good thing is that it's easy to spot. A bunch of short stints at volunteer experiences that reads like a check list. The thing is that you don't have to volunteer with an underserved community. You can just volunteer anywhere as long as it shows commitment.

It's funny how many times people are told this but just goes ignored...seeding them out I guess

Don't worry, I completely understand what you're saying. However, I am volunteering with H4H because I want to and I want the experience, premed or not. I was just curious to as if it was considered "underserved" because I've seen differing responses to the question. I always figured it was because they're building homes for low-income families, but I just wasn't sure.

Obviously things change, but I have no intentions of volunteering here for a "short stint". I would like to help for the next foreseeable few years, assuming things go as planned. I understand why you say that though.

Welcome to reality. I don't know anyone who took the MCAT because they wanted to. You should do whatever adcoms want, you should do what gets you into med school...

Welcome to reality. I don't know anyone who took the MCAT because they wanted to. You should do whatever adcoms want, you should do what gets you into med school...

I'm perfectly aware as to the "game" one needs to play in order to get in medical school. The trick is to not make it obvious you're a checkbox applicant. The MCAT unfortunately is not optional like volunteering. People get into med school without significant volunteering but I've never heard of anyone getting into med school without taking the MCAT (excluding BS/MD combo programs)

Loved that you posted this, OP! I'm looking at volunteering for H4H starting in the fall too! I did it as a kid growing up with my dad and brother, it's a very rewarding experience!

Maybe it is because I have worked with Habitat for a long time (~15 years), but looking at people's applications it is pretty easy to spot the box checkers when it comes to Habitat. Like @getdown , I get the 'game' aspect of this. But, it is a really big turn off if someone can't even hide it. Also makes those other people's applications that are genuine stand out.

YES!!!!!!

I am surprised you are so adamant that this counts as underserved experience. My only (albeit brief) experience was one that was almost exclusively with college kids on a summer break. Sure the ultimate goal was to provide for the underserved but so is organizing a sorority fundraiser for hurricane relief.

I am surprised you are so adamant that this counts as underserved experience. My only (albeit brief) experience was one that was almost exclusively with college kids on a summer break. Sure the ultimate goal was to provide for the underserved but so is organizing a sorority fundraiser for hurricane relief.
But with H for H, you actually go out and do something. Y'know, like getting off campus and out of one's comfort zone? One does not' raise a sweat fundraising on campus either.

As mentioned above, they're easy to spot. At interviews, they no passion when they talk about thier experiences (except for research).

Successful candidates do what they love and love what they do. Their passion is apparent both on the app, and in person. These people get accepted.

Maybe it is because I have worked with Habitat for a long time (~15 years), but looking at people's applications it is pretty easy to spot the box checkers when it comes to Habitat. Like @getdown , I get the 'game' aspect of this. But, it is a really big turn off if someone can't even hide it. Also makes those other people's applications that are genuine stand out.

How do adcoms tell the difference btwn. box-checker vs genuine students? Is it reflected in the essays?