General Is having a lawyer write an appeal from school's promotion committee a bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am facing potentially repeating a semester due to two exam failures. I am appealing the recommendation. I have struggled with panic attacks and anxiety surrounding exams; once I received testing accommodations (in conjunction with medication and therapy) my scores skyrocketed. The board believes it would serve me well to repeat a year as they are concerned about my foundational knowledge. However, I believe the foundational knowledge was there; I just had trouble demonstrating it early in the semester due to the mental health factors confounding it. I do not believe my situation is worth an extra semester of tuition + another year of my life + having a repeat year on my transcript.

I have spoken with a lawyer who specializes in student appeals about potentially having my appeals letter written by him. I've heard different opinions on this. Some say I have a much better chance of having the decision overturned with the lawyer writing my letter. Others say that I will be "blacklisted" by the school because I brought a lawyer into this, and it will cost me letters of recommendation, residency spots, etc. I've also heard that if the letter is conveyed in a non-threatening manner (I have no desire to sue the school) things shouldn't heat up; it is my right to use an attorney and the school shouldn't treat me differently because of it.

So I'd like to ask those who currently are staff members at medical schools - what do you think about having a student using a lawyer to write their appeal?
Someone else may likely be better to answer this, but I'll just state that holding up LoRs and chances of residency are not in the best interest of the school either as if they have people who don't match, that reflects poorly on the school.

Members don't see this ad.

(Devil's Advocate Position)

Think of it from the faculty's (and the Dean of Students) perspective. If I was doing my job, and I served a student a repeat year notice from an objective class failure, and I got a lawyer challenging my decision, how am I not supposed to view it as a threat, regardless of how the letter is worded. You bring a third-party, I am going to have to ask my university's Legal Counsel or Risk Management department to step in due to the University policy, turning this into a major bureaucratic headache.

Unless these facts are in contention:
1. You materially failed a class or term according to the prearranged syllabus standards
2. The action taken to repeat a term which means a year repeat is one that is documented as remedial (not as a punishment per se) in the student handbook

then whatever your lawyer sends is an opinion for reconsideration which may or may not be granted rather than a challenge on unfairness. But involving a third-party means an adversarial relationship going forward, and having this circumstance happen in counter to @MusicDOc124 's point, there is a vested school interest in not messing up established long-term relationships as a feeder to programs on a student's adversarial relationship. I know that where I "practice", there are schools that are privately blacklisted for sending us problem residents that we were not given formal consideration over when we had to discuss matters with ACGME. The school's consideration for looking bad for having a medical student not match versus sending a problem student with a litigious record and unsure competence or mental fortitude for performance is going to be weighed per the situation.

-----------------------
That above is probably the most unsympathetic way to present the situation, but if you have the lawyer directly address the promotion committee, it has to be treated as adversarial in most universities from risk management policies. If the lawyer drafts a letter for you to present, the lack of an active presence may not trigger that. But if you trigger an adversarial relationship with university administration and/or faculty, how do you expect them to write anything but a neutral one or worse, a sabotaged positive recommendation (believe me, academics can be very creative about writing one where the least is damning with faint praise).

So, OP, you're right on both counts. Adding a lawyer introduces a third-party. It may help you if you cannot advocate for yourself, but an active presence means an adversarial one, and even if you prevail, that does not mean quiet retaliation later that you cannot prove. It's a big risk, and one that guarantees consequences (at least the character of the relationships) for uncertain gain. You have to decide if your lawyer knows how to advocate properly under those conditions.

That said, if you are going to claim mental health issues were performance inhibiting, count on this being passed over the Board for consideration when you apply for your license. That is quite variable on how that gets received and dealt with, and you may have special difficulties getting a license with that history out in the open.

In my experience, an honest, heartfelt letter written in the student's own voice has been a lot more effective than a legal "brief."
Admittedly, I've only seen two "legal" appeals. They both failed.
More than half of the appeals written or made by the students themselves have prevailed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very sorry to hear this, but IF you failed a course, then you not only failed to master the material, you didn't even reach a minimum level of required competency.

You should be able to articulate a rationale for not repeating, very much like you did here.

Having a lawyer involved will not help, and only hurt, in one way or another.

@lord999 , in regard to the mental health issues - how exactly is this passed over to the board for consideration when I apply for my license? I was under the impression that the ADA letter is confidential and only those who I consent to viewing it can see it. Are you saying that if I win this case, there will be some form of documentation that I have struggled with my mental health that the board will see?

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

The matter will be disclosed by you, because the way the ask the questions, you will be put into a position of having to disclose or being dishonest even though the question should not be asked this way (see article above).

How this is dealt with is very individual to most of the states, some are quite liberal, some are not, but ADA conflicts with this area, but many states require you to sign a release on the matter to be considered for licensing. The issue is not the disability itself, but its effect on your performance. A disability that does not have an apparent negative effect on clinical performance is not going to be a issue normally. However, you did say that your lack of performance was due to mental health issues, and that is going to be an issue that the Board is going to be interested in. Whether you disclose or not (and this is problematic as the ADA's history against the Board's has been fairly critical of those questions), the conduct or results matter (the disability did have a negative consequence on performance) is going to be hard to not disclose if you honestly answer the questions in many states. In AZ which is my primary state, you would be compelled to answer in the affirmative based on their question's bearing on present state which is consistent with ADA disclosure issues. In MN which is one of my other states, they have a release form that you have to sign that allows them to get at your medical records if you answered yes (although as the article states, is against ADA but no one has been able to strike down the provision yet, would you like to be the test case).

At least in my case, should I physically see a presence of a lawyer in the reconsideration request, I naturally will clam up and do things exactly by procedure which always is unfavorable to the student as the procedure to recommend remedial education is objective-based and does not require that a reconsideration be accepted at all. If it is limited to drafting a letter that I do not see the effects of a lawyer's touch, I will probably focus on you. That said, I would always have my professional letters read by some disinterested colleague (lawyer works) for perspective flaws (particularly tunnel vision). I practice this personally when having to draft formal letters for the Inspector General or some administrative body that the response is Official with a capital O as I want to represent myself as the office not the person. If the review is what is provided, I do not see a problem with this and doubt that would materially affect the proceedings. Again though, it's contextual. I hope that lawyer knows how academic procedures work in medicine, because that is a delicate negotiation. With a third party, you make it adversarial and if you think you can keep the committee from becoming defensive, then possibly it helps. But that is a big, big if, one that I cannot advise you directly on but your attorney can on presence.

Hi Goro, thank you for the input. I should have clarified - I am not asking to go into the second semester without any consequence. I am asking to take two remediation exams rather than repeating the whole semester. I feel that this is sufficient to demonstrate competency in the two failed courses, especially since I will be seeing the material twice. I will also offer to be put on academic probation or do some sort of remedial work over the summer as the committee sees fit, if they overturn the original decision. I would like to take these exams with the accommodations I received so that I can properly demonstrate competency in these courses. This has been allowed for students with extenuating circumstances in the past.
IF your student handbook allows for this option, then go for that, sans the lawyer.

To your request, add a remediation plan, plus one for success in future courses. SPCs tend to like students who are proactive.

You have to write it first, then have your lawyer review it. It is very important to know what your germane point is that necessitated you to bring a lawyer in: is there a violation of the student handbook or students' rights that you are bringing up? Is there an infringement on your rights in the process? The goal is to get to as close of a win-win as you can get in the negotiation, and it's often the case that bringing in lawyers will heighten the tension.

Certainly if you have not already done so, document every email and communication on how you disclosed your accommodations and how the arrangements fall within the guidelines that your ADA/learning services offices provides for everyone in a similar situation who is a medical student. They may be doing this on recommendation from their learning services office, or they may know the tell-tale signs of trouble for you in your future and are trying to help you with this now.

All, thanks for the quick responses. These are very good points to consider.

@lord999, @gyngyn, a follow up:
I was also advised that I could hire the lawyer to help me write the letter and counsel me on what to say during the meeting, but it should come with my signature and not his letterhead and that I should not indicate any sign that I am using a lawyer.

A side note - our curriculum office is in a lot of turmoil right now. There are students attacking them left and right, and a (now former) Dean abruptly stepped down, and we are undergoing an "external evaluation" of our curriculum. The relationship right now between students and the curriculum office, especially in the past few years, is very strained. We are experiencing higher than usual numbers of exam failures. I'm not sure if this context will bring in any new opinions or perspectives on your end but thought I would include it.

Okay, so the followup spells out what they allow in their process, so go along with it.

As it stands, focus solely on your issue which is accommodations. The curriculum issue is an upper-management issue that has no bearing on what you are experiencing with regards to your options to retest or repeat the year. You need to have shown you gave proper notice ahead of time about your disability, have had documented evidence and medical verification, and you accepted their proposed plans to accommodate you in preclinical exams.

Status
Not open for further replies.