Is Hopkins a Nice Place?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedApp2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that Hopkins is really really really competitive. Does anyone out there go to Hopkins? Is this true? Is Hopkins cut throat?

Members don't see this ad.

hey there!

i'm a first year at hopkins, and i really love it. my classmates are really awesome, and i really feel privileged to learn with such cool, intelligent, and hilarious people!

i have found that it is such a supportive atmosphere here, i have not at all felt that i'm in competition or whatever. it is a very cooperative atmosphere, and the teaching is top-notch.

i think hopkins is intense, and you learn a lot, but it is a completely positive atmosphere, and i'm really happy about my decision. the people in MS II, MS III, and MS IV seem to love it too, so i don't think i'm just being a "newbie"...

best of luck!

sincerely,
swaroop

hopkins, MS I

I thought it was Hopkins UGRAD that was super competitive. The only bad thing I've heard about the med school is its location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, Hopkins recently changed their grading system (this is the first year) from A/A-/B+ etc to Pass/HighPass/Honors/Fail, in hopes of decreasing competition.

Hopkins is a fabulous place. Come here. You'll love it. Ditto everything Swaroop said.

As far as the grade change goes, it was essentially a cosmetic change for all the pre-meds out there who get freaked out when med schools give out A/B/C grades. Competition had nothing to do with it.

Cheers,

doepug
MS III, Johns Hopkins

My research at Penn takes me down to Hopkins every few months, and the academic centers there is gorgeous.

As for the rest of your quality of life...well, Kevlar has gotten cheaper, hasn't it? :) Baltimore, and particularly the area surrounding the medcenter, gets my two thumbs down, but you could do worse....*

*context: transferred away from Hopkins undergrad to Stanford back in the day

Originally posted by MedApp2003
I have heard that Hopkins is really really really competitive. Does anyone out there go to Hopkins? Is this true? Is Hopkins cut throat?

I may be biased, but Hopkins is an outstanding place to study and learn. The atmosphere is NOT competitive.

Our motto was that "B=MD" because we knew that being from Hopkins would help in matching at good places for residencies. For example, in 1997, there were 11 Hopkins graduates applying for neurosurgery positions. There's around 150 +/- a few spots in the US for neurosurgery. Even with this level of competitiveness, all 11 students matched. Not all 11 students were in the top 10 percent of their class either.

We all knew that we'll end up at good training programs in the end. There was no need for competition.