Is Hopkins really all it's cracked up to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

love2bfit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as I've mentioned on another thread, I was recently accepted to Hopkins. I know it's arguably the best school of public health in the country... but is it really as good as all of the hype? I would love to hear some opinions on anything related to getting an education at Hopkins! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, as I've mentioned on another thread, I was recently accepted to Hopkins. I know it's arguably the best school of public health in the country... but is it really as good as all of the hype? I would love to hear some opinions on anything related to getting an education at Hopkins! Thanks!

Thinking the same. It's way to expensive.

Congrats on the Hopkins acceptance. Considering that many of the other top schools are also private (i.e. costly), it's hard to justifying declining Hopkins.

Your question is hard to answer, b/c it depends on many factors: your interests, finances, location preferences, so on and so forth.

I don't go there but know a bit about the field. You can send me a PM if you'd like more detailed information or have more specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of finances, if that's an issue, then you should really sit down and dissect everything. I was having issues with my own schools, b/c I always thought I'd choose cheapest cost. However, after visiting, some schools were just a better fit than others.

Also, if you applied to a public school, some of these in-state schools are not being entirely truthful. If you're thinking of cost in terms of expecting instate tuition after living in the state for a year, re-think it. Call the the bodies that deal with tuition eligibility b/c it is VERY tough in some states. The 1 year rule that you hear about usually applies a year before you even ATTEND the institution. After talking with a school, the lady was very honest and she said that you basically have to prove that you're going to stay in the state for a reason other than school (i.e. you have kids, get married, etc.). Not to say that it's impossible but you'd really have to work at it.

So my point?: I've read that the Hopkins program is a year? So in terms of tuition and all, it seems that it would have a similar price point to some of these other 2 year public schools. This is also something that people should consider when looking at the 1.5 year programs too. Just sitting down and really breaking down cost and what you expect to do.

Sorry this has gone on, but I know people peruse these forums and I thought I'd put this out there as a "warning".

I agree with curious14 - I also thought some schools were more expensive than others until I really sat down, calculated the FULL tuition (i.e. some are 1 year some are 2 year) and factored in cost of living. I've also been accepted at JH and am going to attend I think - my cheapest would have been UW but I didn't get in there because they are one of the few schools where you are legitimately qualify for in-state your 2nd year. My most expensive one would have been BU - and it's ranked much lower than Hopkins...

I attended Hopkins last year, although I didn't do the MPH program (I received my MHS in mental health -- it too is a year long program and we take a majority of the same classes that the MPH students are taking, only obviously we have a focus on mental health). To be honest, it was not only the hardest program I've ever gone through but it has opened TONS of doors for me. The professors are SO willing to help out, are extremely knowledgeable, and you can tell they really love what they do. It is a little on the more expensive side, but the debt I have now from it, in my opinion is totally worth it. If you have any specific questions, I would be glad to answer them in a PM.

--Erica

I am not a full time Hopkins student. I just take classes there. Based on my interactions with full time students, they seemed to feel it was not all it was cracked up to be. Yes, it will open lots of doors but the classes are only 8 weeks which is hardly enough time to learn everything. The students I have spoken with say mainly they are paying for the name. While the coursework is not that challenging, just being there will open doors for you that arent available from other places. Also, there are a lot of interesting lectures and networking opportunities. My overall feeling is that people are underwhelmed by the MPH Program as far as the coursework. However, a PhD is a different story.

I am not a full time Hopkins student. I just take classes there. Based on my interactions with full time students, they seemed to feel it was not all it was cracked up to be. Yes, it will open lots of doors but the classes are only 8 weeks which is hardly enough time to learn everything. The students I have spoken with say mainly they are paying for the name. While the coursework is not that challenging, just being there will open doors for you that arent available from other places. Also, there are a lot of interesting lectures and networking opportunities. My overall feeling is that people are underwhelmed by the MPH Program as far as the coursework. However, a PhD is a different story.
I've gotten the feeling from visiting other places and talking with other students, that an MPH (and most masters programs) aren't as 'challenging' as one would expect. Then again, I think it's because the learning one is expected to do is different. You typically learn skills and ways of approaching situations as opposed to the cramming of facts you would do in a Biology or Chemistry class. Then again, I don't know about Hopkins, I'm just being general here.

What is the course schedule at Hopkins like? is it very demanding, compared to other 2 year mph programs? i am really wondering how one can learn 2 yrs worth of coursework in 11 months..

What is the course schedule at Hopkins like? is it very demanding, compared to other 2 year mph programs? i am really wondering how one can learn 2 yrs worth of coursework in 11 months..

You can visiting Hopkins' OCW here and learn the syllabus and course materials: http://ocw.jhsph.edu/