Is Hospital Volunteering Necessary in this case?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to work full time as an ED scribe during my gap year, which would give me a lot of clinical experience.

IF I am able to get the position and work as a scribe for 1 year, do I really need hospital volunteering in addition to that? I'm asking because I have not gained much at all from my hospital volunteering experience; the nurses and doctors give me very little to do no matter how much I ask and I honestly get the feeling that they get really annoyed by college kids coming there and taking up space.

I do have a substantial amount of non-clinical volunteering; just wasn't sure if hospital volunteering is an "unwritten requirement" even if I've obtained substantial clinical experience elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Your scribing would be adequate. Only volunteer further if you choose to do so.

Hospital volunteering is not required but clinical experience is. Some folks only clinical experience is hospital volunteering; that does not seem to be the case for you.

While hospital volunteering is not required, community service is an unwritten requirement. Medicine is a profession that has at its heart service to others when they are at their most vulnerable. Testing yourself to see if have what it takes to serve others and to continue to serve others, not just to make a short-term effort, is important in this process.

Reactions: 1 user