general admission

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Was thinking about this the other day. Say you're a single, young male. Went straight from college-->med school-->residency. Graduate med school at 25/26, finish IM residency at 28/29 and you're a full-fledged attending. Get a job making a conservative $225K/year, working one week on, one week off (with some vacation time thrown in there). All of a sudden, you're sub-30 years old making more than pretty much any other non-medicine professional. No family=money to pay off your loans and cheaper living. Then you can buy cool **** you've always wanted, and get the week off to hang out with friends/go to the club and **** or moonlight and make upwards of $300k/year. After a few years of this you could also potentially apply for fellowship.

Seems like a much more desirable field when factoring demographics of the applicant. I think it's only going up in terms of compensation/demand, from what I hear as well. Any input?

Reactions: teeayejay and DirkN

Silent Cool

Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
Status
Waiting for @DermViser to chime in on this one :)

Reactions: fancymylotus

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Reactions: Don15 and Lucca

Doctor Bob

EM/CC
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando
Status
Attending Physician
get the week off to hang out with friends/go to the club and ****
Or you could just do EM and work less and make more :)
Yea... if your plan is to "go to the club and ****", wouldn't you rather say you're an EM doc than a hospitalist?

I mean... which do you think is going to get you farther?
"Last night I restarted someone's heart, intubated a person with an airway full of vomit, reset a kid's elbow, and saved a gunshot victim's life by cutting open his chest."
or
"Last night I wrote 10 H&Ps, put in 5 diet orders, and wrote for a stat dose of tylenol"

:D

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yea... if your plan is to "go to the club and ****", wouldn't you rather say you're an EM doc than a hospitalist?

"Last night I restarted someone's heart, intubated a person with an airway full of vomit, reset a kid's elbow, and saved a gunshot victim's life by cutting open his chest."
or
"Last night I wrote 10 H&Ps, put in 5 diet orders, and wrote for a stat dose of tylenol"

I can't believe I missed this:
get the week off to hang out with friends/go to the club and ****
They have bouncers for guys who do that type of thing.

Aug 20, 2014

or

Oh wow, CHAOS ORB!!!!!

Reactions: Giovanotto

fancymylotus

A Whole New World
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2004
Was thinking about this the other day. Say you're a single, young male. Went straight from college-->med school-->residency. Graduate med school at 25/26, finish IM residency at 28/29 and you're a full-fledged attending. Get a job making a conservative $225K/year, working one week on, one week off (with some vacation time thrown in there). All of a sudden, you're sub-30 years old making more than pretty much any other non-medicine professional. No family=money to pay off your loans and cheaper living. Then you can buy cool **** you've always wanted, and get the week off to hang out with friends/go to the club and **** or moonlight and make upwards of $300k/year. After a few years of this you could also potentially apply for fellowship.

Seems like a much more desirable field when factoring demographics of the applicant. I think it's only going up in terms of compensation/demand, from what I hear as well. Any input?

:rofl:

also since when is 300k zomg bragging rights monies?

Reactions: general admission

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OP
G

general admission

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:rofl:

also since when is 300k zomg bragging rights monies?
When you make more than the vast majority of working professionals and are working half the year.

And yes GOAT = greatest of all time. No I don't mean that exactly.

Srs though, seems solid in the scenario I described. And you can moonlight in the ER if you want to.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When you make more than the vast majority of working professionals and are working half the year.

Srs though, seems solid in the scenario I described. And you can moonlight in the ER if you want to.
What makes you think Hospitalist Medicine will continue to be 7 on and 7 off?

Mar 29, 2013

You talk as if this scenario has been created by you and has never been thought of before lol. How can we comment on how you want to lead your life? If it sounds appealing to you, do it.

SouthernSurgeon

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]

(a) Your salary estimates are a wee bit high

(b) Fellowship isn't going to be sitting there waiting forever, especially competitive ones like GI or Cards. Spend too much time out of training as a hospitalist and you'll find some doors closed.

(c) There's a reason it has a high burnout rate. It can be a crushing job.

But since you think it's the greatest, go ahead and live it up.

LostinLift

5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
You might end up burning the candle at both ends if you "club" too hard. But if you think it's right for you go after it, talk to as many hospitalists as you can.

Clubbing and buying expensive stuff.... I'd rather workout with my SO, cook a nice dinner, and play nintendo. Different strokes I guess.

Mar 29, 2013
(a) Your salary estimates are a wee bit high

(b) Fellowship isn't going to be sitting there waiting forever, especially competitive ones like GI or Cards. Spend too much time out of training as a hospitalist and you'll find some doors closed.

(c) There's a reason it has a high burnout rate. It can be a crushing job.

But since you think it's the greatest, go ahead and live it up.

Bro YOLO'S don't burn out

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
god trads are immature

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm aware it was sarcasm, you're not as brilliant as you think, and I've seen pics of you too.
If your personality in class is anything like it is here, it's any wonder why no one wants to be around you and it isn't bc of your race.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

fancymylotus

A Whole New World
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2004
I'm aware it was sarcasm, you're not as brilliant as you think, and I've seen pics of you too.
Wow, I'm like ssssssssso offended and threatened. Carry on whining about how much everything sucks for you. Its quite entertaining

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So what was the point derm? Because im not even sure what the point was and I wrote it.
If you didn't know what the point was, why did you write it? Words put together in the English language have meaning.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
I think I know what the point was. I wanted to hear him explain it. But of course he weaseled out as usual.

somebody please give your interpretation of what the point was, then we'll see who was closest.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
@DermViser , I'll probably block you from now on, its weird how you follow me around SDN commenting on ever post I make, I'm not attracted to men.

Reactions: newfeet

DermViser

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
@DermViser , I'll probably block you from now on, its weird how you follow me around SDN commenting on ever post I make, I'm not attracted to men.
I should probably do the same for you, as your comments are quite vitriolic in terms of accusing people of racism, being misogynistic, #Reported, etc. Your comment to @fancymylotus was a hit below the belt and was unnecessarily childish and petty.