Is human anatomy and physiology helpful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I checked dental school website and some school have "human anatomy" as a requirement. And many of them have it for a strongly/highly recommended course.

My plan was to graduate in 2 weeks, study for DAT, and apply on May, but I just canceled my graduation so that I can take human anatomy I and II, and Histology. And that means I will have to stay in my 4 yr institution for another 1 and a half year.

I am thinking of taking more recommended classes and they are intro to sociology and psychology.

My question
1) Does taking strongly/highly recommended classes increase my chances of acceptance? I don't know about other schools but VCU is keep telling me and my friends to take upper level classes besides general requirement that all the other people already have to put us in a competitive spot. I don't know if that just means to take upper level classes, or strongly/highly recommended classes because I am pretty sure everyone takes more than just general requirement when they go to dental school.

2) is Human anatomy basically the same as human physiology? The course name for human anatomy in my school is "human anatomy and physiology". My school already has "human physiology" class so I don't know if anatomy class includes what I already learned in physiology.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how much it affects their decision to accept you, but those 2 classes will help out on the DAT, especially physiology. Sometimes schools teach the two in the same class but they are different subjects. I took them and I'm happy I did cause you'll see them all again. One of your first classes in d-school is gross anatomy, it'd be nice if you were somewhat familiar with it.

I'm not sure how much it affects their decision to accept you, but those 2 classes will help out on the DAT, especially physiology. Sometimes schools teach the two in the same class but they are different subjects. I took them and I'm happy I did cause you'll see them all again. One of your first classes in d-school is gross anatomy, it'd be nice if you were somewhat familiar with it.

They will help you on the DAT, not really. They are the most basic of human physiology. I don't know about you, but we have slides with VERY INDEPTH material, LOTS to memorize, and after you go to lecture you're like, what in the world did I just learn. The DAT is all about the bigger picture, which is easily learned from Barron's AP biology. Use that one with Cliff's AP biology interchangably and you're good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that human anatomy is LOTS of memorization :)
and that's from people who took the 1st human anatomy.
I need to take both 1 and 2 :(

but the thing is that you will end up doing the exact same thing when you are in dental school. so i guess it will be alot helpful for you to take them since some schools even require to take em.

Both are very helpful to get in to DS and to do well in DS, but won't help you with the DAT very much, if at all.

Both are very helpful to get in to DS and to do well in DS, but won't help you with the DAT very much, if at all.

As long as Anatomy and Histology are very helpful to get in to DS, I am definitely going to take them! :D

2) is Human anatomy basically the same as human physiology? The course name for human anatomy in my school is "human anatomy and physiology". My school already has "human physiology" class so I don't know if anatomy class includes what I already learned in physiology.

Some colleges include anatomy and physiology into the same class. Some schools have them separated. You need to refer to your school's catalog and see if it describes the class. If not, talk to someone who has taken it or talk to the professor.

Should you take the class? If you can fit it into your schedule, YES. It will make your life easier when taking gross anatomy. When most of my classmates were spending hours in the gross lab before practicals, I was at home studying for other exams because I already had a stong anatomy background prior to d-school. Taking the course will be beneficial for you if you can take it.

there are two different ones.

one is like A and P that a nursing, health, PE,...ect majors would take.

the other is just like Gross Anatomy with human cadavers that you will take first year of dental or medical school. I took Human Anatomy where we actually dissected cadavers just like dental or med school.

if you take the human anatomy with cadavers it will be extremely helpful in dental school. There is TONS of memorization. so when you get to it first year of dental school it will be much easier because you will just have to re-memorize it. much easier than the first time in undergrad. which should really healp considering the amount of workload during your first couple years of dental school.

At least that is what people in dental school and med school have told me. so i took it

hope this helps

If your a science major take A and P. Its a great class. You dont need to memorize it if you enjoy it.

I didnt want memorize Anatomy so just ook lectures in physio. Lol talk about not only having to learn physio but also the Anatomy. Stupid choice. Anatomy was one of my top classes. Especially with a cadaver dissection. Simly aaaaaamazing.

Study up

Do dental students dissect animals in Anatomy or do they just strictly memorize?

Do dental students dissect animals in Anatomy or do they just strictly memorize?

In dental school human anatomy lab usually has frogs...some schools use mice. :)

Most do dissection AND a ton of memorizing!

i LOVE my anatomy class... im in the lecture and the lab (2 separate courses)this sem, we work on cadavers and i think it will help me a lot, a lot of dschools have cavader labs..

as far as physiology, i took the DAT twice, and my bio score went up 2 pts after phys

Last edited:
Last year why I went to Nova to figure out why they rejected me they suggested to take anatomy if possible because it offers a really good comparison to how you will do in dental school since it requires a lot of different thinking, or so they say. Many D-schools highly suggest it and frankly I feel slightly disadvantaged going into d-school not having it.

In dental school human anatomy lab usually has frogs...some schools use mice. :)

Huh? Ohio State has a gross anatomy course where groups of 4 dental students each have their own cadaver and dissect superficially to deep. No frogs or other animals, just humans

Wish this were true! Frogs and mice are much easier than the full body dissection we did! Besides, head and neck anatomy is taken to prepare you for dentistry and anatomy from the shoulders down is taken to prepare you for boards. I'd be concerned if my DS had us dissect frogs and/or mice since they wouldn't prepare you as well for what is to come.

To all those of you who thought my comment on UCSF using frogs and mice for human anatomy were serious....uh...that was supposed to be a quite obvious joke.

I'm so misunderstood!!!! :laugh:

How in depth is d-school anatomy? Seems like you guys would be way more interested in facial and oral anatomy.

How in depth is d-school anatomy? Seems like you guys would be way more interested in facial and oral anatomy.

Basic course breakdown: 1/3 thoracic cavity, 2/3 head 'n neck. Nutin significant below the diaphragm...at least @ UCSF

BTW, this was all done on frogs!!! :laugh: