Is human physiology or anatomy absolutely necessary for the mcats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just can't fit in this class before the time that I plan to take the MCAT, should I just study like crazy in the bio section and take it or just push back when I take the MCATs so I can fit the class in? This is really not what I want because I want to get done with the MCATs early.

Members don't see this ad.

No, it's not necessary, but it would help. I did fine without those classes (Physiology would help you more, Anat not so much). You're going to have to study a little more though. Don't rush taking the MCAT.

I received a really poor treatment of physiology in my AP bio class, so I think physiology this semester has been a great help. If you got quite a bit of physio in your general bio, then it might not be as necessary as it was for me.

I'm also taking physiology and I admit that it really makes the passages easier to read since your familiar with the content. Btw, I was looking through the EK Bio review book and I would say more than 50% was physio content so I'm guessing it might be beneficial to take some physio class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would mammalian physiology be sufficient?

Yes. It's more to get you into how to think about the function of the body and how X parameter will affect Y other parameter. Physiology, IMHO, is the most helpful supplementary course for the MCAT besides the required courses (bio, phys, org, chem).

Yes. It's more to get you into how to think about the function of the body and how X parameter will affect Y other parameter. Physiology, IMHO, is the most helpful supplementary course for the MCAT besides the required courses (bio, phys, org, chem).

Niiiiiice. Thanks guys!

Along with my completion of all the pre-reqs, I took AP biology, college Anatomy/Physiology and an EMT-B class in highschool which I gained a total of 19 credits from. Do you think that with those classes behind me I will be able to follow questions regarding such material?? The reason I say this is because I am also in a similar boat .. I plan on taking the MCAT in the summer after studying and taking a kaplan class ... and im taking human physiology in the fall.

I'm in the same situation as many of you.

I have taken all my pre-reqs, along with genetics, biochem, etc. However, I have not taken physiology or cell bio (will be taking cell bio in the fall).

I also plan to study for the MCAT over the summer, and teach myself the physiology I need from EK and any other supplemental books.

I told myself that I will not schedule the MCAT until I am consistently scoring 30+ on practice exams. So hopefully, at the end of the summer, I will be in that situation and will be able to then schedule my MCAT for December of this year.