Hierophant

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Should I spell out "institutional review board" in a secondary essay? It feels a little pedantic spelling it out like that, but I want to make sure anybody reading it knows what I mean by "IRB approval".

jqueb29

7+ Year Member
May 4, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Should I spell out "institutional review board" in a secondary essay? It feels a little pedantic spelling it out like that, but I want to make sure anybody reading it knows what I mean by "IRB approval".
I'd wait til an adcom replies definitively, but my opinion is yes, everybody will unfortunately know exactly what IRB stands for.

Lost in Translation

単純な馬鹿でありたい。
2+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2015
最上川
Status
Medical Student
I have less than a full year's worth of lab research under my belt and I know what IRB stands for. Seeing as most adcom faculty will have had at least that much exposure to research (be it clinical or wet lab), IRB is a pretty recognizable acronym.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
IRB is a pretty universal acronym in the medical/research/science community. It's fine.
It's hard to believe, but there are older community physicians, who help with admissions interviews, that won't necessarily recognize the abbreviation.

Reactions: Goro

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
It's hard to believe, but there are older community physicians, who help with admissions interviews, that won't necessarily recognize the abbreviation.
I would disagree. I think that IRB has been around long enough (well established prior to 1985 when I first heard of it) that even some of the older community physicians are likely to have heard of it during their training or can easily google it.

OP
Hierophant

Hierophant

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'm going to use the abbreviation. If the reader doesn't recognize it, hopefully the context clues or googling it will make it a non-issue.