Is IRB a recognizable abbreviation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hierophant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I spell out "institutional review board" in a secondary essay? It feels a little pedantic spelling it out like that, but I want to make sure anybody reading it knows what I mean by "IRB approval".

Members don't see this ad.

Should I spell out "institutional review board" in a secondary essay? It feels a little pedantic spelling it out like that, but I want to make sure anybody reading it knows what I mean by "IRB approval".

I'd wait til an adcom replies definitively, but my opinion is yes, everybody will unfortunately know exactly what IRB stands for.

Reactions: 2 users
I have less than a full year's worth of lab research under my belt and I know what IRB stands for. Seeing as most adcom faculty will have had at least that much exposure to research (be it clinical or wet lab), IRB is a pretty recognizable acronym.

Members don't see this ad :)
IRB is a pretty universal acronym in the medical/research/science community. It's fine.

Reactions: 1 users
It's hard to believe, but there are older community physicians, who help with admissions interviews, that won't necessarily recognize the abbreviation.

I would disagree. I think that IRB has been around long enough (well established prior to 1985 when I first heard of it) that even some of the older community physicians are likely to have heard of it during their training or can easily google it.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'm going to use the abbreviation. If the reader doesn't recognize it, hopefully the context clues or googling it will make it a non-issue.

That feeling when you have to look up something supposedly very common...