Is is ok if pharmacy is my plan B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get into any DO school but I am worried that I might not do well in the MCAT...I have a 3.1+ cGPA and 3.4 sGPA and I know I need a 27+ MCAT to have a shot at DO...I feel like I will be happy as a pharmacist as well if i follow that route...I took a PCAT practice test and I did much better than the MCAT practice tests I took. I know what both jobs entail since I shadowed both...Were any of you in a similar situation having pharm school as your plan B? If you ended up doing pharmacy, how did it work out for you as far as personal satisfaction?

Disclaimer: This is not a PCAT vs MCAT thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacy used to be a great Plan B profession. The coursework wasn't very difficult and you were guaranteed a job with a sign on bonus when you got out. This is not the case anymore. If you choose one of the established pharmacy schools it is much more demanding.

Pharmacy used to be a great Plan B profession. The coursework wasn't very difficult and you were guaranteed a job with a sign on bonus when you got out. This is not the case anymore. If you choose one of the established pharmacy schools it is much more demanding.

Dont you think Obamacare might increase the demand for pharmacists again? I think most professions now are having trouble finding job...This is even true for nurses. I belive that might have something to do with the economy...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it is perfectly ok. Just don't tell people that it was your plan B. Ever.

Oh yeah, we dispense Plan B all the time where I work.

Oh...wait.

In all seriousness, make sure that you understand what a pharmacist does on a day to day basis. If you're planning on working retail, it is nothing like what being a doctor would be. That being said, pharmacy started out as my plan B; now I can't imagine wanting to do something else.

from someone who started off heading into RX and ended up a physician I would say the field are so disimilar you probably wont be happy. I would apply to PA school as your backup. Your job will be far more similar to what it would have been had you gotten into medical school. And after 2 years of PA school, practice for 2 years, make some cash, and if you are still wishing you were a doc, then reapply to med school, you will definitely get in.

from someone who started off heading into RX and ended up a physician I would say the field are so disimilar you probably wont be happy. I would apply to PA school as your backup. Your job will be far more similar to what it would have been had you gotten into medical school. And after 2 years of PA school, practice for 2 years, make some cash, and if you are still wishing you were a doc, then reapply to med school, you will definitely get in.

+1 to this. Went in as plan B and kinda liked it but jumped ship after a few years of pharm school for med school. Do what you know you want to do from the start and save yourself the time and money.

If you want to diagnose, go to med school, PA school, or become an ARNP.

If you want to know a lot about how to treat diseases and medications, go to pharmacy school.

If you're not sure, then I guess pharmacy as a plan B is okay. Although I wouldn't make it common knowledge. And make sure you wouldn't go crazy if you had to do retail (because you'd have to at least somewhat in school, regardless of your future career).

Personally, I like treating diseases rather than diagnosing them, and I think I'd suck at doing procedures (not the biggest fan of blood/gore, although in rotations this year I've survived seeing heart surgery, a birth, and a c-section).