Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Is it a bad idea to tell a school they're your #1?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by yanks26dmb, 09.27.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. yanks26dmb

yanks26dmb 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was recently asked how I would chose X school over another if I were accepted to both. I straight up told my interviewer X school is my number 1 choice. Maybe I'm over thinking things now, but is this a bad move?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I told my #1 they were my #1 and they must have been as into me as I was into them, because they accepted me.

OsteopathicHopeful likes this.
  4. Stagg737

Stagg737 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Agree with both of the above. If you're sincere it's not going to hurt you, but it probably isn't going to help very much. Besides, there are plenty of other ways to show them how much you want to go there other than just saying they're your first choice.

5. AlbinoHawk DO

AlbinoHawk DO Student Osteopath 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you said my school was your first choice, I'd expect you to be able to show that by being able to speak about the specifics that the school has to offer which make you want to choose it. It's only a negative to say that if you don't have good reasons to back it up.

edgerock24 and Stagg737 like this.
  6. cliquesh

cliquesh 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yep, I said the same thing, and ended up attending my #1.

Mad Jack likes this.
  7. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    We know that you're all lying, and we don't take it personally.

kelminak and polylux like this.
  8. Promethean

Promethean Syncretist 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is it a bad move? Probably not. Some, maybe even most people who say that probably really mean it, and there is no reason to hold that against them.

But there is also no reason to put any particular stock in such an assertion. I'm betting very few people ever tell an adcom "Well, you guys are really #3 or 4 on my list, but hey, you are in the top 5, for sure!"

9. MaduNotSoff

MaduNotSoff 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Friend of mine was asked this at an MD school last year. He told them that they weren't his top choice but he really liked the school and would highly consider attending. He's an M1 at that school now, so being honest isn't necessarily a bad move

Promethean likes this.
  10. Othala

Othala

Pre-Medical
    I think it's fine to tell them they're your number one. I can't see where it's a bad idea. Don't panic, you're probably over thinking it.

About the ads