Is it a bad idea to transfer colleges if you plan on going to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Protagonistic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay guys so here is my issue.

I am currently an 18 year old guy about to start college. I went to a magnet school (specialized high school, had to apply to get in) and I have decided after doing a lot of volunteer work and internships, I want to go to med school. I know the difficulties that will come with it and what is required of me.

Well due to not doing the best in the magnet school (C average my first two years and A average my final two years), I was not able to get into most tier 1 schools as a student, finished high school with a 3.4 GPA. Well now I will be attending a tier 4 university (four year university) for basically free and I plan on transferring to a tier 1 university my final two years. Students from my school usually do well at the tier 4 university I will be going to basically because my high school is so hard.

I am wondering, if I transfer from a tier 4 university to a tier 1 university my final two years, will that look bad when I apply to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, but it wouldn't look too terrible if you stayed, either. As long as you have good grades and a high MCAT.

No it won't look bad. Your number one priority is getting a high GPA, no matter where you go to undergrad.

To be honest with you, and I know that coming out of high school everyone has the "prestige bug," but you'll be best served going to the college that you can maintain the highest GPA, no matter what tier it's in. If you're able to get a 4.0 at the lower tier school, I don't think it's worth the risk of transferring to the higher ranked school that may (or may not) grade more difficultly.

It's all about GPA and MCAT buddy.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say Tier 4 do you mean Tier 4 as in US News Tier 4? You realize that all top 100 schools on US News are technically Tier 1 right (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...national-universities-rankings/c_final_tier+1)? If you just mean Tier 4 as in not in the top 25 then no, it's not worth it. If you mean Tier 4 as in these schools: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...national-universities-rankings/c_final_tier+4, then yes, transfer. Not because of "name" but because you'll probably get a better education if you do.

Yes by Tier 4 I mean USNEWS tier 4.

Thing is, location really bothers me, the school is local and it is in the same place I went to high school in. Not many new people I will met and most people I already know. I want to transfer because I want to go to a newer place for my final two years, a newer state at least because I have been in this place for about 6 years and I really believe going to a new location will help me a lot in terms of social life.

I also feel that had it not been for my first two years of high school being so miserable (dealing with depression, sickness, and tons of other issues), I would have had a 4.0 GPA in high school and I would have been able to get into a top university right out. But I am just aiming for tier 1 as in top 100, may apply to an Ivy or top 20 university as a transfer (it will be my reach).

Thing is, location really bothers me, the school is local and it is in the same place I went to high school in. Not many new people I will met and most people I already know. I want to transfer because I want to go to a newer place for my final two years, a newer state at least because I have been in this place for about 6 years and I really believe going to a new location will help me a lot in terms of social life.

I also feel that had it not been for my first two years of high school being so miserable (dealing with depression, sickness, and tons of other issues), I would have had a 4.0 GPA in high school and I would have been able to get into a top university right out. But I am just aiming for tier 1 as in top 100, may apply to an Ivy or top 20 university as a transfer (it will be my reach).

What state do you live in? A 3.4 isn't that bad at all. You could have gotten into a Cal State no question. But yes, you should probably transfer. The difference between a Tier 1 and a Tier 4 school is too much to think it wouldn't affect your MCAT score.

Dont beat yourself up! A 4.0 for your last 2 years of hs is great! I had a similar situation in high school (except all 4 years) I went to a year of community college and got a 4.0 and was accepted to several tier 1 schools as a transfer. As long as you do well in college and get a good mcat score you will be fine. If you transfer to a better school MAKE SURE that you can get the same/better grades. If your grades slip at a tougher school that will really hurt your application. It sounds like you will do fine though! Good luck and try to enjoy your freshman year!

Some of those tier 4 schools are pretty shady. For example, if the OP went to Liberty University I'm guessing he'd have a hard time on the BS section :laugh:

Why is that? Btw just looked up liberty uni, some hawt chicks there apparently.

Okay guys so here is my issue.

I am currently an 18 year old guy about to start college. I went to a magnet school (specialized high school, had to apply to get in) and I have decided after doing a lot of volunteer work and internships, I want to go to med school. I know the difficulties that will come with it and what is required of me.

Well due to not doing the best in the magnet school (C average my first two years and A average my final two years), I was not able to get into most tier 1 schools as a student, finished high school with a 3.4 GPA. Well now I will be attending a tier 4 university (four year university) for basically free and I plan on transferring to a tier 1 university my final two years. Students from my school usually do well at the tier 4 university I will be going to basically because my high school is so hard.

I am wondering, if I transfer from a tier 4 university to a tier 1 university my final two years, will that look bad when I apply to med school?

If you definitely plan on transferring only spend one year at your tier 4 school, there is no need to stay there two years that is way too long. You want to allow your self enough time to get to know some professors for letters of recommendation and may be even do some research if your knew school is a big research university. IF you wait two years, then you should just apply after you graduate from your knew school instead of after junior year.

Why is that? Btw just looked up liberty uni, some hawt chicks there apparently.

I wouldn't trust any school founded by that ass-hat Jerry Falwell with giving out a "well rounded" education.

I wouldn't trust any school founded by that ass-hat Jerry Falwell with giving out a "well rounded" education.

Oh wow. I had no idea it was founded by a fundamentalist that blamed 9/11 on gays.

I don't think it will hurt you. I transferred to avoid having to take out lots of private loans and I don't regret it for one second. When I finish undergrad I will have a fraction of the debt I expected to have, which is always nice.

What state do you live in? A 3.4 isn't that bad at all. You could have gotten into a Cal State no question. But yes, you should probably transfer. The difference between a Tier 1 and a Tier 4 school is too much to think it wouldn't affect your MCAT score.

I live in the deep south, don't want to get too specific about the state but lets just say it ranks near the bottom when it comes to primary and secondary education.

One of the main reasons I want to transfer is so I can get out of this state and go back up to the Northeast, loved my life there.

If you definitely plan on transferring only spend one year at your tier 4 school, there is no need to stay there two years that is way too long. You want to allow your self enough time to get to know some professors for letters of recommendation and may be even do some research if your knew school is a big research university. IF you wait two years, then you should just apply after you graduate from your knew school instead of after junior year.

No, because if apply as a transfer during my freshman year they will still take my high school record into consideration. If I apply for my final two years or apply during my sophomore year they will give my high school record less weight and my college record more weight.

Also it will be less expensive as my parents may only have to pay for my final two years of college.

I live in the deep south, don't want to get too specific about the state but lets just say it ranks near the bottom when it comes to primary and secondary education.

One of the main reasons I want to transfer is so I can get out of this state and go back up to the Northeast, loved my life there.

It's not all about good grades. You also want to actually get the chance to enjoy school and actually learn something. If this school is bad at giving you an education and is making you bored or even worse, miserable, transfer! :thumbup:

It's not all about good grades. You also want to actually get the chance to enjoy school and actually learn something. If this school is bad at giving you an education and is making you bored or even worse, miserable, transfer! :thumbup:

Thing is I believe if I truly want to be happy in life I need to transfer to a school outside of the deep south because the deep south is just not for me, yea, took me 6 years to realize that.

also, is it even possible to transfer from tier 4 to top 50?