Is it a bad idea to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PosterY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...sign up on AAMC.ORG a year or two early, so you can get a general idea about what the application is like?

Members don't see this ad.

If you handle the rigors of premed, the MCAT and doing all the extra curriculars, then I am pretty sure you can log on when the application becomes available in may and have it ready to submit in June without having to try it out a year or two early.

If you handle the rigors of premed, the MCAT and doing all the extra curriculars, then I am pretty sure you can log on when the application becomes available in may and have it ready to submit in June without having to try it out a year or two early.

if you just want to get a sense of what you'll have to do, google AMCAS, and go to AMCAS support --> check out the AMCAS worksheet ...and it pretty much shows you everything you'll have to fill out.

dont be too nervous. its really not that bad!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, besides the plain curiosity, I wanted to get a feel of how GPAs are calculated (particularly if one has both semester and quarter courses). Also, my school replaces the original grade for a repeated course by 'RP' and I would really like to know how the AMCAS handles that... Do they automatically assign Fs?

Actually, besides the plain curiosity, I wanted to get a feel of how GPAs are calculated (particularly if one has both semester and quarter courses). Also, my school replaces the original grade for a repeated course by 'RP' and I would really like to know how the AAMC handles that... Do they automatically assign Fs? I missed an exam in one of my courses and I might have to retake :/

Not too sure about that. Perhaps it's averaged in similar to a W? You could try to search through the billions of threads about this from the past or wait for an answer here. Whichever you prefer. As to your original question, I would just wait a couple of years. My GPA is bad enough that I don't want to know what AMCAS would do to it. Don't you know what curiosity did to the cat? It killed it. :scared:

I agree with above poster. Just wait a 1 or two in order to get started on your AMCAS, because your grades now may not be the grades you have in two years. Like today you may have a 3.8 GPA and in two years beause of circumstances a 2.7 GPA (hope that does not happen though) so wait it out and maybe in two years you'll say i.e. "Thank God I didn't start my AMCAS to early".

Actually, besides the plain curiosity, I wanted to get a feel of how GPAs are calculated (particularly if one has both semester and quarter courses). Also, my school replaces the original grade for a repeated course by 'RP' and I would really like to know how the AMCAS handles that... Do they automatically assign Fs?

I don't know exactly how your school does things, but I doubt that it would become an F. If the grade is on your transcript anywhere, it will be averaged....

See if this helps at all.