Is it a bad idea to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AestheticGod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
take a bunch of random classes like history and humanity, to boost your overall GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come at me bro

It's a very good idea to boost your GPA. Adcoms read so many applications so GPA trumps courseload and UG institution. But remember on your AMCAS application your GPA is broken down into overall, BCPM, and non-BCPM so acing American History isn't going to make up for your C+ in O-chem (but acing a class like P-chem or biochem will since it's BCPM).

It's a very good idea to boost your GPA. Adcoms read so many applications so GPA trumps courseload and UG institution. But remember on your AMCAS application your GPA is broken down into overall, BCPM, and non-BCPM so acing American History isn't going to make up for your C+ in O-chem (but acing a class like P-chem or biochem will since it's BCPM).

Thanks brah, would rep you on misc.
My GPA is currently a 3.6
Trying to get it higher, since there's so many damn competition to get accepted. (I really want to stay in uni)

Thanks brah, would rep you on misc.
My GPA is currently a 3.6
Trying to get it higher, since there's so many damn competition to get accepted. (I really want to stay in uni)

Good luck brah....I have almost the same GPA as you (*SoClose*) and only have 3 interview invites so far. Competition will only increase as long as the economy sucks so be sure maximize your GPA and MCAT at all costs.

in on secret rep trade

Please respond.

take a bunch of random classes like history and humanity, to boost your overall GPA?

It's only a bad idea if you don't have any interest in the subject material. Otherwise, I'd take the classes to boost your GPA and learn some neat stuff you won't have the chance to study in med school.

humanity is a great class.

lol i was going to say this but i already hit my troll quota for the day

and your mdapps:
fVDEC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind that the school will have access to your complete transcript. They could easily look at the classes you took and likely see that you took a few freebies in an attempt to boost your GPA. They aren't *****s.

Keep in mind that the school will have access to your complete transcript. They could easily look at the classes you took and likely see that you took a few freebies in an attempt to boost your GPA. They aren't *****s.

but wouldn't it help you get past the first few initial waves of low GPA "scans"?

Good luck brah....I have almost the same GPA as you (*SoClose*) and only have 3 interview invites so far. Competition will only increase as long as the economy sucks so be sure maximize your GPA and MCAT at all costs.

yo flatearth where are your interviews at?

If they count towards your major go right ahead. If money is a issue don't take classes that will prolong your college career.

yo flatearth where are your interviews at?

If they count towards your major go right ahead. If money is a issue don't take classes that will prolong your college career.

Sent you a PM

If you are up to a 3.5, then there wouldn't be any legit "GPA scanning." I think that's when they would start breaking down coursework individually. I'm not sure, pulling this one out my arse. :D

I think a 3.6 is fine as long as the other aspects of your application are strong, unless you are applying in California. A 3.6 paired with 32-35 MCAT should give you a pretty good shot to get in somewhere. I think you should be able to at least land some interviews at your state schools.

I don't think taking a few random humanities courses is going to significantly improve your chances.

I think a 3.6 fine as long as the other aspects of your application are strong, unless you are applying in California. I think you have a shot at interviews at some of your state schools.

I don't think taking a few random humanities courses is going to significantly improve your chances.

Florida if it matters. Well I just found out that I'm gonna get a C this semester cause of ONE fuking test (Yes, raging the fuk out).

I don't think it's bad. I wouldn't take a bunch of random classes though. Instead I would choose an area I was interested in a take a bunch of classes in that area (including some introductory and maybe even higher level). That way, you can maybe boost your gpa, it won't look like you did it solely to pad your gpa, and if it really is an interest and adcoms notice, it may come up in interviews which is always helpful.