Is it a disadvantage to not have pre-reqs complete when applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MangoPlant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have all of the pre-requisites for most medical schools (gen chem 1,2 physics 1,2, o-chem 1,2 bio 1,2 all with lab except bio 2 lab) complete. I know most schools require that the pre-reqs need only be taken before matriculation, but will it be a disadvantage when applying if biology lab 2 hasn't been completed? Forgive me if this is a silly question, but I just wanted to double check!

Members don't see this ad.

The lack of the one biology laboratory will not matter to the adcoms when applying; as long as you take it prior to matriculation, you're fine.

In terms of prerequisite courses generally, as long as you can demonstrate that you can handle a rigorous science course load (which you have presumably done), the lack of a specific prerequisite wouldn't prejudice your application (although if you are missing a lecture component, it might hurt you on the MCAT). This is a nonissue for you specifically, but I am throwing this out generally because it is relevant.

Reactions: 1 user