Is it a dumb idea to write about nail art as a passion for my secondary essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lea102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! For the dreaded "what's your passion" essay, do you think it's a good idea for me to write about nail artistry (painting unique designs on nails)? I don't want to go with something cliche like volunteering, and nail art is honestly one of the only things that I really enjoying doing since I get to be creative. But is this weird for me to write about? If so, should I just write about things I sort of like (but not passionate about)?
Thanks so much for any advice/input :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have a feeling that they want you to be passionate about something related to medicine. I'm sure you are interested in many things, one of which would potentially translate to a skill you will use in medicine.

I have a feeling that they want you to be passionate about something related to medicine. I'm sure you are interested in many things, one of which would potentially translate to a skill you will use in medicine.

I don't think that is true. I think schools want to see that you are more than just a robot who has other hobbies and passions outside of science and medicine.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! For the dreaded "what's your passion" essay, do you think it's a good idea for me to write about nail artistry (painting unique designs on nails)? I don't want to go with something cliche like volunteering, and nail art is honestly one of the only things that I really enjoying doing since I get to be creative. But is this weird for me to write about? If so, should I just write about things I sort of like (but not passionate about)?

I can see both sides, writing about a hobby vs. writing about medicine. What does the actual prompt say?

Thanks for the replies! Hm I understand, maybe I can somehow relate that into the creativity needed for medicine? If not I can try to think of something else.

And also this is the prompt: Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life.

And also this is the prompt: Please tell us about a passion (professional or personal) you have had thus far in your life.
I'd say in that case definitely go with it since it specifically says personal. I think admission committees want to see that you're a normal person with hobbies

Yeah I would write about whatever you are passionate about, because you're writing will be much better. Doon't fake it into something you think adcoms want to hear, they will be able to tell

Nail art? Seriously?

Not-Art.jpg

Thank you guys so much for your input :) I think I will stick to my topic and find a way to relate it to medicine. :)

It sounds like writing about a personal passion would definitely be appropriate. I'm not sure if I can make a judgment about whether or not you should write about nail art, I do know it takes a fair amount of skill. If you do end up writing about it, you can definitely write about the creativity in this hobby. You could also write about the fact that it is very detail oriented and requires a lot of practice to obtain the manual dexterity necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
My first thought was, "no, just no", but thinking about it a bit more you could say that your passion is for art, your expertise is in miniatures, and your chosen medium is nail polish. Then go on about the challenges, the ephemeral nature of the work, the creativity and so forth. You can spin in the right way and it is no different than making mandalas from colored sand.

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fine and very different!

My learned colleague nailed it again. Her words are almost exactly those of a friend of mine who is a model aircraft builder, and he once told me "Some people express themselves in clay, others in oils. I do it in polystyrene".

My first thought was, "no, just no", but thinking about it a bit more you could say that your passion is for art, your expertise is in miniatures, and your chosen medium is nail polish. Then go on about the challenges, the ephemeral nature of the work, the creativity and so forth. You can spin in the right way and it is no different than making mandalas from colored sand.

Reactions: 3 users
Please don't make it about medicine. Nobody reading these essays wants to hear a premed talk about how their passion for stocking blanket warmers will make them a great surgeon.

Reactions: 6 users
I guess this is Icahn secondary. I talked about non-medicine topic and received an interview.

Nail art? Seriously?

Not-Art.jpg
So there's "just doing my nails" and there's "painting intricate designs on my nails." One is infinitely more difficult than the other. As long as OP really can draw perfect 1-weight lines on her nails, she can claim that nail art is her passion. It's like if someone said they liked drinking beer and said Blue Moon is their favorite "craft brew". That just screams "entry level" aka not truly passionate or hasn't tried nearly enough things to be considered a beer enthusiast. And the fact that Blue Moon is not a craft beer.

Man I totally forgot about nail art when I was writing this secondary. I would have loved to write about it since I literally own ~400 bottles of nail polish and loves doing my nails. So yeah, go for it!

I feel you need some kind of hook with this to draw in the reader...
What if the person reviewing your essay is a 60 year old heterosexual man who's never been married?
But if you can write a compelling narrative about your passion for nail art, go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, LizzyM's narrative makes it sound really good. But I'd be worried that come review time, they'll be passing around the file saying.. "And next we have Lea102.. Check it out. Her passion is nail art! No, I'm serious... It's really good I swear!"

Last edited:
Why the hell does one have to rationalize their passion? Why does one's passion have to stir others?

Reactions: 2 users
I consider it a form of creativity and self expression. So yes, seriously.

Kewl. I consider tattoos a form of self expression, but mine aren't visible in work clothes for a reason.

Are you planning on interviewing with your nails all done up too? I also wouldn't recommend doing that.

I'd like to see you try it.

You probably wouldn't tbh.

So there's "just doing my nails" and there's "painting intricate designs on my nails." One is infinitely more difficult than the other. As long as OP really can draw perfect 1-weight lines on her nails, she can claim that nail art is her passion. It's like if someone said they liked drinking beer and said Blue Moon is their favorite "craft brew". That just screams "entry level" aka not truly passionate or hasn't tried nearly enough things to be considered a beer enthusiast. And the fact that Blue Moon is not a craft beer.

I wouldn't talk about beer drinking in a secondary either.
Competitive eating is hard too, but I probably wouldn't write about that if I did it either.
I spent a bunch of time last winter working on a motorcycle, but I'd probably talk about working on bicycles and not motorcycles in an essay today.
I used to paint warhammer 40k miniatures when I was in highschool. I probably wouldn't talk about that in an essay today either.

Catch my drift?

While doing and liking all these things is totally reasonable, you're making pretty big assumptions about your reader by writing about any of them. If you're an incredible writer, then sure, go for it. But imho, the risk outweighs the reward. Your ship sinks if you end up with a 60 year old attending that just dgaf.

Did anyone else think of Legally Blonde? :p

Attention to detail, fine motor skills, good with your hands. Go for it. I wrote about my sewing/tailoring, you can show it as skills necessary for medicine too. Worked for me, should work for you too!!

Attention to detail, fine motor skills, good with your hands. Go for it. I wrote about my sewing/tailoring, you can show it as skills necessary for medicine too. Worked for me, should work for you too!!

I agree. Unless your passion is illegal or hurts others (immoral), I wouldn't judge the "passion" but how well one expresses one's interest in it.

If the knowledge, skills and ability are in some way connected to medicine in a way that the reader can infer, all the better.

Reactions: 2 users
I wouldn't talk about beer drinking in a secondary either.
Competitive eating is hard too, but I probably wouldn't write about that if I did it either.
I spent a bunch of time last winter working on a motorcycle, but I'd probably talk about working on bicycles and not motorcycles in an essay today.
I used to paint warhammer 40k miniatures when I was in highschool. I probably wouldn't talk about that in an essay today either.

Catch my drift?

While doing and liking all these things is totally reasonable, you're making pretty big assumptions about your reader by writing about any of them. If you're an incredible writer, then sure, go for it. But imho, the risk outweighs the reward. Your ship sinks if you end up with a 60 year old attending that just dgaf.
It's all about standing out and being able to write passionately about something. IIRC, in one of my essays somewhere I wrote about how I drive my car on racetracks as a hobby. No, not racing. Yes, my own car. Yes, it's expensive. But it's something that I'm passionate about, and many lessons learned on track don't only apply to driving but also to life in general. I would rather pour my heart into an essay on a topic that I'm passionate about and have some middle-aged adcom not take any interest in it because they can't relate or whatever than feign interest in a "relevant topic" just because that's what [some people claim] adcoms want to read.

Like has been mentioned, OP's hobby teaches patience. My hobby taught me someone will always have more horsepower. Neither of those things are directly related to medicine but are very relevant to developing yourself into the best doc you can be.

Last edited:
It's all about standing out and being able to write passionately about something. IIRC, in one of my essays somewhere I wrote about how I drive my car on racetracks as a hobby. No, not racing. Yes, my own car. Yes, it's expensive. But it's something that I'm passionate about, and many lessons learned on track don't only apply to driving but also to life in general. I would rather pour my heart into an essay on a topic that I'm passionate about and have some middle-aged adcom not take any interest in it because they can't relate or whatever than feign interest in a "relevant topic" just because that's what [some people claim] adcoms want to read.

Like has been mentioned, OP's hobby teaches patience. My hobby taught me someone will always have more horsepower. Neither of those things are directly related to medicine but are very relevant to developing yourself into the best doc you can be.

Miata?

No, you can write about nail art. Today generation women keeps her nail with many arts. They use many nail polish. It is a trend that seen everywhere by the women. They do not keep same design of her even they change when they see or read an article about it. So you can write about nail artistry