Is it a good idea for me to retake this course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl236

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take upper-division and show upward trend. You're going to have to bust your @$$ to get your grades to a point that is acceptable for MD admission. If you are considering DO (which given your grades, I would recommend), then retaking will give you full grade replacement.

Honestly, do the best you can for the next two year and if your GPA isn't stellar, try to get into a good MBS program.

So you're saying if my GPA isn't good enough I should give up med school? Even if I do better in higher level courses?
No, not at all. I'm just saying that you really need to kill the next two years and show a strong upward trend to put yourself back on track to being a competitive applicant. Right now you are not competitive.

MBS programs are masters programs that help applicants with lower/underwhelming undergrad GPAs get into med school. Most programs basically mimic the core first-year medical school curriculum. Being able to excel in that setting will show AdComs you can handle the load of med school. I'm just being honest in telling you that your path to becoming an MD may not be a traditional undergrad to MD. You may have to go through an MBS or consider applying to DO programs.

DO programs allow full grade replacement if you retake a course. So it may be more beneficial depending on your age, income etc to also retake those undergrad courses so that your AAMCOS GPA will be much higher.

Pardon my tone in the first post, but to be honest, when someone posts those grades in Gen Chem and Bio - 4 of the core courses required for application - it creates some skepticism. Those grades, even with upward trend will be something that you've have to answer for when you apply. Either on your secondaries when they ask if you have grades below C or in interviews when they ask why your grades were poor during your first few years. Just be prepared.