Is it a good idea to get a master's before a Ph.D. in clinical psychology instead of being an RA/lab manager due to the climate of the country (US)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcopolo0919

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
With labs possibly losing funding due to COVID and research possibly not happening on campuses, I'm worried about being able to find a research position. I have 2 years of research experience and 2 poster presentations and I just graduated with a 3.5 in Psych. The goal was to find an R.A. position and work before applying to Ph.D. programs but a few lab managers emailed me that because they were unsure of funding and if they would be on campus that they would hold off on the hiring process for now. I know that RA positions are competitive but I have not heard back from anywhere I applied. My mentor/advisor told me it may be beneficial to go to the Masters in Clinical Psych program that I was accepted into just to be safe because I don't want it to be December and I still haven't found a research position. (I have research and clinical opportunities through the program)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also aware of RA openings. Feel free to PM me if you're interested and not geographically limited.