Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Is it a good idea...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Drako, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Drako

Drako Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    to answer such a question as this:

"If selected for an interview, what one life experience would you most like to talk about?" (Albany Medical College Secondary application)

with something in the line of:

"I feel that all my life experiences are very special to me and there isn't one that I would like to talk about above the other. Damn it! They help to make me who I am today! And mind you, this is an honest answer which I have wrestled with days and nights." :confused: :) :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I'm wrestling with that one now too. I would leave out the damn it! On the other hand, they might just be giving us a chance to pick out a topic that we feel most at ease talking about and a chance to get off on a good foot with the interview.

4. Drako

Drako Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That could be it!

But still, my guts tell me to write what I truly feel without such flowery words as "damn it" of course.

5. girl

girl Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm sure you've thought about this, but I think the answer probably sounds like a cop-out to the adcom. I remember on one secondary (I forgot which school), they asked a question about a moral or ethical dilemma you had faced. Then, they specifically said "We find it difficult to believe that any student has not faced such a situation... etc etc" It might have been Emory? Anyway, their point was that whatever the question, you should be able to come up with something. Considering how broad the question you were asked is, I think they would be 'disappointed' at best if you said you couldn't come up with one. Hope this helps.

6. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

You guys put way too much depth into these things. Pick one. Talk about it. They aren't going to put you under a polygraph regarding its importance.

7. snowballz

snowballz Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My gut feeling would be to go with the reason why you are becoming a doctor. If you are devoting 10 plus years of your life to the education..you must have had some defining moment, perhaps? :confused:

Alicia

8. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, maybe not a polygraph. :) But I tend to think everything on an application is there for a reason, and there are also reasons why some get in and some don't, so it's probably wise to put a fair amount of thought into answering every question. But maybe I'm just too obsessed with the whole process.

9. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would say this is a BIG opportunity to help you app stand out, talk about what experiences you have that are not "typical, cookie-cutter pre-med." Bring up an experience you are really passionate about, or learned an important and valuble lesson from...