Is it a Red Flag to not answer “How did you pay for college? Percentiles?” on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpsomeoneout2018

Reaction score
question answered

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yeah i know. Why i said im not disadvantaged by any means.

Im wondering if its frowned upon to put other or not answer when the situation is more complicated than numbers and more severe than family drama or divorce.

Or what im thinking isnt more complicated and is just family drama and i should just trudge on. why i asked if its frowned upon and gave context

i also just ask because it is (besides resulting long term injuries) otherwise not really mentioned anywhere in my primary application to give greater context

Members don't see this ad :)
I should have been more complete in my comment. As they kind of discuss in that thread, there is no "criteria" for whether or not you qualify. It sounds like you went through a difficult time and if you're willing to put that on your application either as a description for why you consider yourself disadvantaged (aka not the high income applicant you appear to be on paper) or-maybe better- as a part of your personal statement you are certainly allowed. No one will scoff or roll their eyes at parental abuse and neglect. Keep in mind that anything you put on the application is potentially asked about in interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
If your parents paid 100% for college, list that (it is true) or leave the question blank if it is optional.

Be careful about airing dirty laundry or hurting your parents' reputations; you might be very surprised but someone who knows one of your parents or grandparents might just be reading your application at some point. (Personal experience with that...

Reactions: 1 user
If your parents paid 100% for college, list that (it is true) or leave the question blank if it is optional.

Be careful about airing dirty laundry or hurting your parents' reputations; you might be very surprised but someone who knows one of your parents or grandparents might just be reading your application at some point. (Personal experience with that...
okay thank you for your advice!

Im not in contact with them anymore. You think i shouldnt mention identifying information in my apps?

Given your particular situation, leaving blank seems like a reasonable course of action --

It sounds like you went through He!! but were one of the few who made it out stronger. You were forged, not broken. If you haven't sought counseling to help you digest and make sense of things, it might be a good idea now. I'm not suggesting you "need" it in the conventional sense, but rather that it might help you come to terms with it in a way that makes it easier to explain succinctly and cogently with the level of emotion you choose to bring to the table. It would be easy to come off as angry, bitter, victimized, callous, helpless, martyr, hero-complex, enmeshed -- any number of things reflecting any number of conflicting feelings you have every right to feel. I'm suggesting counseling more as a pro-active 'sort it out in hindsight' thing --

Best of luck to you --

Reactions: 1 users