Medical Is it a red flag to not have a letter of recommendation from PI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it bad not to include a LOR from a research PI? Research was not the primary part of my application, but I had a decent amount of involvement with it. I worked in a lab for ~300 hours over a couple of years, presented a poster, and received course credit.

My PI wrote me a letter that I used for last cycle, but I did not ask him to send it again when I reapplied this cycle. My PI was always super busy and had often worked at a hospital, so I wasn't sure whether he wrote a strong letter. Will it be seen as a red flag to not have asked him to send the letter again? Thank you.
I don’t think it’s a red flag. It’s more important to get letters from people who know you WELL and can write you STRONG letters.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info. My PI knew me pretty well, and we had a positive relationship, but I just didn't think he would write a strong letter.

Then better off trying to find other letters. I mediocre letter isn't gonna do much more than check a box if you need the letter to reach your requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.