Is it actually difficult to match back to CA residency programs if you...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowcocopuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...if you study outside of California?

Also, what are some of the toughest programs to get into in California?

Members don't see this ad.

Your biggest barrier will be the Rockies. You want to make sure you leave early enough that you don't get trapped in the mountains during winter. If you do, make sure you're the one with the hatchet.

...if you study outside of California?

Also, what are some of the toughest programs to get into in California?

Yes, it is.

The hardest are the big 4, as you might expect. Difficulty: SF > Stanford = UCLA > UCSD >>> USC = UCI > UCD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it is.

The hardest are the big 4, as you might expect. Difficulty: SF > Stanford = UCLA > UCSD >>> USC = UCI > UCD.

Generally if you train out of state (like I did) you need to make sure to do aways at the CA program you want to match in.

The above is pretty accurate, but entirely relative to the specialty you are interested in. For example, in ophtho the list looks very different

UCLA >/= USC >/= SF > UCSD >Cal Pacific Medical Center>>UC Davis >>Stanford >>UCI.

I probably left a couple out, but you get the idea.

Reactions: 1 user
All of the above is true. However, having ties to the state or a particular institution in Cali really helps, more than people think. I lived there my whole life before moving for medical school and I went to UC Irvine for college. The PD there has made it clear to me that my ties to them and the state are huge advantages when I would otherwise be looked at as a total outsider. They simply want people who will be happy there and are willing to stay there (the more their residents end up staying in Cali to work, the more they can justify asking for more state money). They are well aware many Cali students have to go to other states for school, but are straining at the leash to get back. But you will still not be on a completely level playing field with a California med school grad.

As RestoreSight said, the list is completely dependent on specialty. If you're interested in primary care, there are a ton of community programs too, as well as Kaiser residencies (I get flyers in the mail from them weekly). Also Loma Linda is on that list, if you're willing to deal with the rules.

Reactions: 1 user
I think ties definitely help. The problem is that every year almost 2000 CA residents do med school outside of CA, so there's a lot of people in your boat.

All of the above is true. However, having ties to the state or a particular institution in Cali really helps, more than people think. I lived there my whole life before moving for medical school and I went to UC Irvine for college. The PD there has made it clear to me that my ties to them and the state are huge advantages when I would otherwise be looked at as a total outsider. They simply want people who will be happy there and are willing to stay there (the more their residents end up staying in Cali to work, the more they can justify asking for more state money). They are well aware many Cali students have to go to other states for school, but are straining at the leash to get back. But you will still not be on a completely level playing field with a California med school grad.

As RestoreSight said, the list is completely dependent on specialty. If you're interested in primary care, there are a ton of community programs too, as well as Kaiser residencies (I get flyers in the mail from them weekly). Also Loma Linda is on that list, if you're willing to deal with the rules.

If you are originally from CA and had to go to OOS med school, will changing your state residency to that oos affect your chances of matching back to CA?

lol

Your biggest barrier will be the Rockies. You want to make sure you leave early enough that you don't get trapped in the mountains during winter. If you do, make sure you're the one with the hatchet.